Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another pre-fab

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
We pre-fabbed most of this in the shop too but the job still had its challenges with 3", 100 year old mains running at all kinds of strange angles to tie into.
We ran Rhomar 9100 cleaner through the system for 4 days, flushed it really good, and when the system was commissioned added Rhomar 922.
The Jomar filter ball valve caught a fair amount of debris after 2 hours of running the pumps. I use them on all the mod cons we install.
My customer, a very intelligent guy and frequent visitor of The Wall, requested the additional tridicators and I was happy to oblige.
The flue is vented side wall with CPVC.
Combustion analysis came in right on target.
In the future, we may add TRV's to the cast iron radiators and go with an Alpha system pump.
Steve Minnich
Harvey RamerZmanSWEI

Comments

• Tinman
    Options
    Before picture.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    Thank you!

There are two 4x8 sheets of sanded plywood mounted vertically to the wall. We brought them out in a box truck. The left hand board was completely piped with the boiler in place and then we removed it and boxed it back up for transport. That board was the boiler and the boiler loop.

The right hand board was the entire system loop. The last coat of paint and the poor picture quality is probably hiding the seam.

Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    I think it's worth it to empty the van as much as needed to transport the board(s). It's that much of a time saver. I have a partial of one of the next ones we're doing that I'll post shortly.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Heatway, now Watts Radiant has been building those large 4X8 control boards since the early 1990's. They ship them all over the country.

Borrow a pick up or small flatbed trailer to haul one.

On one job the homeowner framed it in behind glass with display lights on it.

I used to build them with enameled aluminum sheets over the plywood, aluminum angle around the edges.
    On one job I used yellow backer and painted the Lochinvar boiler JD Green. I put a "Nothing Runs Like a Deere" sticker on it.
    The customer owned a John Deere dealership and appreciated the effort.

A contractor I know in Colorado puts the logo of the university that then owners attended on the backer board.

A few favorites.
    Gosh, I did a "gay pride" insulation theme over 15 years ago :) Who knew?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tinman
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure I've had an original thought in my life? This certainly wasn't one. I've learned and watched other contractors and especially manufacturers build these boards and I figured why not do it myself? They put some pretty hefty price tags on them so I figured there must be some value in doing it. Trust me, there is and I don't ever see myself turning back from it.
    Steve Minnich