Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Draining one/three zones

Options
I have a Burnham Alpine boiler, that heats two zones and fills my hot water tank.
I've been doing some renovations and I need to replace a section of baseboard. I'd like to drain just one one zone and I think I have a plan, I just wanted to run it by people who know more.

Looking at the attached picture, I plan to close the ball valve (third from left) that goes upstairs.
Then I'll close the ball valve before the pump (Far right, top). Next, I'll attach a hose to the spigot and open the globe. I'll then drill a small hole in the top of the baseboard pipe to introduce air to replace the water, letting it drain more, before I cut it.

I know one side will still have some water, but I'll try to get as much out as I can before I sweat.

When everything is back in place, I'll open the first valve and flush out the air, plus some water with Flux and crap before I close the globe valve and finally the ball valve (before pump).

I'm assuming if there's a small amount of air left in the loop, it wouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Dan

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Are you doing this yourself? Why are you replacing the baseboard?
  • DArinello
    DArinello Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes

The baseboards are right up against the studs. I'm ripping down all the paneling in the room and plastering it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Yep, that is a workable plan. Remember to plug the hole you drill :)

Be nice if you could turn that black colored pump down. The motor should not be vertical, as it can trap air in the bearing. But it looks like then pipe is in the way?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream