Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buffer Tank Piping Advice

JustinS
JustinS Member Posts: 246
With everyone's recommendations last winter, I've been trying to find someone to install a buffer tank to remedy my TT Prestige Solo 110's short-cycling, due to over-sizing compared to my house size and amount of baseboard.

It has been quite an effort to find an installer that I am comfortable with (one even asked what a buffer tank was - couldn't end that conversation fast enough!)...

I know that Siegenthaler is highly regarded and I've been trying to get prospective installers to pipe the tank based on what I have read in his articles (http://www.pmmag.com/articles/96765-alternate-methods-to-pipe-a-buffer-tank)

This has also not be easy as installers tend not to be too receptive on this...

I thought I had found an installer and had specifically asked about installing check valves around the tank, as per the above article, but was told that they are unnecessary since there is nowhere for the water to thermosiphon...

I don't know what to do... part of me is hesitant to go against Sigenthaler's recommendations but another part just wants this to be done... of course, it could just end up being done badly as was done with my initial install...

I would really appreciate any advice since I am between a rock and a hard place...

Thanks!!!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    hot goes to cold, always. if there is a temperature imbalance the warmer temperature will migrate over to the cooler side. So you don't want any heat energy being lost thru the boiler. Why tempt fate?

This is a very common and often un-diagonised issue with indirect tanks connected to cold start boilers. The hotter tank leaks heat energy back to the boiler. The indirect tank manufacturers acknowledge this and show check or zone valve protected piping.

It's a simple concept, same as how gravity heat systems work.

The circ pump with integral check would cover one side, but two direction flow is still possible in the un-checked pipe.

Why would they not install them as instructed in the article? You are paying for it. If they still protest I'll send you a ball stop valve to sneak the check function past them. :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Justin ,

Where are you located ? Maybe we could help you find someone from the vast resources we all have at our disposal . This is a big fat small world after all .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • JustinS
    edited June 2015
    I asked him to "confirm to me that the inlet to the buffer tank from the boiler would have a swing check valve and that the outlet from the buffer tank to the heating system would have a spring-loaded check valve?

I have read that these are recommended to prevent thermosiphoning when the boiler and the distribution system, respectively, are not operating...

His response was that there is no place for the water to thermosiphon to, it’s not going to do that back through the header. Maybe if you had a tall vertical riser off of it but that’s about it.

We are going to pipe this the way we feel comfortable . To be frank, I don’t care what anybody on the internet says. Come have them do it if you want it that way."

As you can see, my experience with various installers is not improving...
  • JustinS
    Rich said:

Justin ,

Where are you located ? Maybe we could help you find someone from the vast resources we all have at our disposal . This is a big fat small world after all .

Oh, that would be simply wonderful if that could happen...

I live in Bellingham, MA (just north of Rhode Island)
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    A heating guy actually came to your house and asked WHAT A BUFFER TANK WAS...? Have on hand applications to burger king, next one with such a stupid answer, like that...Give it to him
  • j a_2
    And I would have no problem telling him he is STUPID
  • JustinS
    j a said:

A heating guy actually came to your house and asked WHAT A BUFFER TANK WAS...? Have on hand applications to burger king, next one with such a stupid answer, like that...Give it to him

It was actually over the phone, thankfully I didn't waste more time than that...
  • JustinS
    JustinS said:

Rich said:

Justin ,

Oh, that would be simply wonderful if that could happen...

I live in Bellingham, MA (just north of Rhode Island)
    Just checking in - any chance to see if any of you know an installer in my area?

Thanks!
  • j a_2
    Sure feel free to contact me......my info is in Mr. Dan's steam.heating add section. Best of luck
    RobG