Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1965 Tempco Wall Furnace

Options
fruitful
fruitful Member Posts: 1
My father passed and was living in a cottage that has a very old Tempco Wall furnace that has not been light for over ten years. I bled the old gas from the natural gas line and was successful in lighting the units pilot light. However, when I raise the temp. on the thermostat the pilot light is extinguished. I believe that the thermo-coupler in the unit has gone had after all of these years of non-use. Where can I find a new thermo-coupler for a unit this old?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    50 years old, sat cold without pilot flame driving moisture out of heat exchanger and flue exhaust for 10 years? Could be a bucket of rust inside the firebox and inside the gas valve.

I would call a pro to check out the entire unit.

Gas valve may open and may not close completely. JMHO
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    For the cost, I would just replace the unit. A pro could replace it more quickly than coming out to troubleshoot it, trying to find parts and then coming back to install them. New units are not that expensive and if it's not a vented unit you should change it out for one.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    What is the Model and Serial number, I have manuals on most of those and can give you some idea as to what should be done. A picture of the unit would help as there were many different Tempco heaters. As to thermocouple the Honeywell Q340 will fit most any pilot. I would also have that pro clean the pilot while it is out and then take some millivolt readings on the thermocouple.
  • Robert1629
    Robert1629 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a Temco pre-vent furnace model -#1151 looking for a manual or replacement gas valve. Thanks