Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Charging with r410a

I was looking for ambient temperature chart that shows the outside temp and the seer rating of the unit then what your high side pressure should be. Mine is a 2.5ton heat pump with a 3ton air handler which makes it 15 seer

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Each manufacturer places a comparison chart with their units, which allows fine-tuning after you have weighed in the required charge. There is no reference to SEER and ambient temperatures, as the two have no relationship.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2015
    In a general statement (SEER) of a given piece of equipment is based on seasonal performance in a given operating temperature range. To obtain these (SEER) ratings ( provided by manufacturer) typically the equipment should be matched. Pressures are a direct result of dry bulb and wet bulb temps outside and inside the envelope. Additional devices like TVX, Fixed restrictor also have a huge bearing as to what your pressures should be as well as a properly designed system including ducting, grills, location etc... As stated above, seer will not determine you operating pressures, the conditions will. If your condenser operates with a TXV, Sub cooling is your charging method (Also take a look at you S/H) and your S/H with a slightly larger Evap. will result in a higher Supper heat reading. Using a 2.5 ton cond with a 3 ton evap is totally acceptable.

My .02

Mike T.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    edited June 2015
    I don't trust the manufacturer to put the factory charge in right, I just charge to the chart. No rules of thumb, do what the manufacturer calls for for THAT exact system. Temps and line length play a part. With TXV longer lines can mean higher subcool. With piston, indoor humidity often means higher superheat. By the book. A few ounces off can make a real difference in how the sucker works and its efficiency. So many units are oversized, people don't know when their unit isn't working at its fullest.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Mr. John Mills,......I thought I was the ONLY one to not trust the MFG and their procedures or charging methods or the like...... Thought I was crazy..........? I like to check it myself with readings/ facts/ and results. Always worked for me........

Mike T.