Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatpump with hydronic heating coil

Hey folks, I have a wiring question. how would i wire up a heatpump with an hydronic heating coil instead of electric heat?

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Wire a RIB relay in parallel with the zone valve or circulator and the cold contacts to R-G to turn on fan. Turn off resistance heating breakers
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    njtommyMcro1986Zman
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    depending on current set up and t-stat this would be a good option too.

http://flopro.taco-hvac.com/products/electronic_controls/zone_controls/hydro_air_fan_control/index.html
  • Mcro1986
    Mcro1986 Member Posts: 8
    cool thanks, I plan on using a comfort-air 4ton hydronic air handler with a dx coil for the heat pump, but in the instructions i don't see a diagram for heat pump. i assume i wire the reversing valve to the tstat and w-2 to the zone valve for the heating system. also going to install an outdoor stat to shut down the heatpump when it's to cold out for it to run. just trying to save my customer money on propane this winter.
  • njtommy
    Propane very $$$. I would run that heat pump as much as I can. as long as it keeps up with the load. Not sure what kind of boiler your using or hot water heater, but I installed a tankless hot water heater for a friend of mine with propane. We figured out he is saving about 15 gallons of propane a month over a regular tank hot water heater.
  • njtommy
    Honeywell has plenty of options for this set up too with a wireless or wired out door air sensor. Your able to program it to turn the HP off or on at any out side temp or even if you want to stage the heating system by indoor temps.
  • Mcro1986
    Mcro1986 Member Posts: 8
    thanks again, Ill have to research some Honeywell stats, the boiler at the house is an 95+ and 3 zone baseboard (4 zone controller so I can add a zone). They still spend bout $500 a month when heating the 2100sqf house in southern nh.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Don't forget about "reheat" when the unit goes into defrost.
    Mcro1986