Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil cooler on trane RTUA chiller

I need to change a temperature response valve (almost like a txv) on Trane RTUA chiller's oil cooler.The cooler has four lines going to it.One from the liquid line,one going to the compressor's suction line, one going to the compressors oil valve,and the other going to the oil separator.My question is does anyone know if the two refrigerant lines are isolated in the oil cooler from the oil lines?I would think they would have to be and that the refrigerant, and the oil just exchange heat,without coming in contact with one another in the oil cooler.Any input would be much appreciated,thanks to all.

Comments

• yesindeed
    yesindeed Member Posts: 13
    I would suggest contacting after sales support at Trane directly.
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    In our area you would have better luck contacting the president then having anyone that works for the Trane factory take a contractor's phone call.I changed the temperature responsive valve a couple of weeks ago, and that took care of the problem, the oil temperature is staying where it should. The refrigerant lines and the oil lines in the oil cooler are, like I thought, completely separate like any other heat exchanger.For anyone that has to change one of these I would suggest using the pumpdown cycle in the operator interface that would put the refrigerant in the condenser.You will have to recover about two pounds of refrigerant left in the liquid line,and then you can cut out the valve, and install a new one. If your superheat,and sub cooling are where they should be and the compressor is cutting out on high oil temperature,you probably have a bad temperature responsive valve.It will take longer to get all your gear in the mechanical room then it will to change the valve.Good luck to all.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    zepfan said:

In our area you would have better luck contacting the president then having anyone that works for the Trane factory take a contractor's phone call.

Hahaha -- around here I would say the same thing about Rheem.