Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Near boiler piping

steamer45
steamer45 Member Posts: 13
So, I am preparing to replace a small residential steam boiler (Slant Fin, Mod. #GXHA-120-DPZ) due to a casting failure (water leak) and am looking for suggestions regarding the piping between the boiler and the existing mains. I have a 4" C.I. Tee bullheaded into the horizontal main (side outlet facing down toward the boiler, approximately 40" above the 2 1/2" outlet tapping). My plan is to increase the supply piping to 4" as close to the outlet as possible and continue with 4" all the way to the tee in the main. Included within this dimension will be the header, the equalizer piping to the return & Hartford Loop and a 4" x 1" tee to feed a single radiator not included in the main. Two questions, is 4" overkill and while I prefer C.I. fittings, I am finding it difficult to obtain the correct configurations, therefore, am considering malleable fittings. I know standard piping procedure is to use C.I. however, anyone foresee problems not using them? The returns are 1 - 11/2" & 1 - 1" , therefore, they should be fairly easy.
Thanks for any input.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Can you lose the tee and bring separate risers down to the header?
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Are you replacing it with the same? Can you post a pic of the current piping? SF recommends against bullheaded Ts and they're not alone in that thinking. This may have worked in the older boilers with large water chests, but isn't generally successful with replacement boilers. Caveat: I'm just a HO who got all my info here, but did install twinned TR50 and know the instruction for the SF boilers pretty well.
    Regarding availability, call around all your resources. I was able to find a 3 1/2" to 4" T! The supplier was glad to get rid of it and wanted to know if I needed a few more!
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    wyo
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    There is also www.supplyhouse.com I used them free delivery over 300 and cheaper than my local guy (who didn't seem to want deal with me). I agree about the bullhead tee you should look into eliminating that and separating the mains.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    SWEI said:

Can you lose the tee and bring separate risers down to the header?

^^ This