Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect tank build

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
I was able to stuff 50 feet of 3/4" TracPipe, less the jacket, inside this ThermoCon buffer tank.

I'll reduce the 2" ports to 3/4 with brass bushings and use the TracPipe termination fitting., Amazingly all but one loop stay in the bottom 1/2 of the tank as I pushed it in.

I suspect any tank with 2" connections near the bottom could be converted to an indirect. Most of the DHW storage tanks had dual 2" ports near the bottom.

Very minimal amount of blood loss also :)
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
kcoppBigRobRoss_24

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    The mad scientist at work once again!
    kcopp
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    Where's the best place to get a deal on one of these tanks?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I need them with a top and bottom fitting for a reverse indirect config. Not sure how I would keep the CSST from falling to the bottom, though...
  • hot_rod
    B-Rob, these are tanks that had a bad experience with a forklift. Normally we scrap them, but I wanted to try putting CSST inside one. I have a dented 25 gallon you are welcomed to, if you want to pay freight from Springfield, MO.

Kurt, There really is no way to control the way the tube coil inside. Some loops go around, a few up and down. I doubt they will move around inside, it's pretty stiff tube.

For a reverse indirect I think you would want two or three 60 foot loops, headed together to keep pressure drop down.

The smallest Ergomax has about 20 sq. ft of HX surface, the largest around 60 sq.

Not sure how that calculates when using corrugated tube, compared to smooth copper.

While stainless is not as good as a conductor as copper, I think the corrugations would add surface area and better turbulence inside. Many of the Euro tanks are using corrugated ss now for HXers.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited April 2015
    hot rod said:

Not sure how that calculates when using corrugated tube, compared to smooth copper.

While stainless is not as good as a conductor as copper, I think the corrugations would add surface area and better turbulence inside.

Both true.

The lower conductivity of stainless is at least partially offset by its increased tensile strength. For an equivalent pressure rating, copper tube will require a much heavier wall section than stainless will.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    i think the decrease in conductivity is a mute point with thinner wall section, and the corrugations. Be interesting to see the performance.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I wonder how the friction will affect the lifespan of the tubing as it was designed for gas? Then again it could always be re-tubed.
    HR, didn't you use Trac-Pipe inside the dog radiator? How is that holding up?
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    hot rod said:

B-Rob, these are tanks that had a bad experience with a forklift. Normally we scrap them, but I wanted to try putting CSST inside one. I have a dented 25 gallon you are welcomed to, if you want to pay freight from Springfield, MO.

Thanks for the offer! How dented is dented? Any chance there is around a 55 gallon laying around dented and sad?

• hot_rod
    Turns out the CSST gas tubing is the same tube as solarflex and inside many indirect tanks.

It's also used in industrial applications for high pressure fluids, like hydraulics and compressed air and gases. It has a long track record for high pressure applications. I believe it's used in aircraft construction ak

My radiant concrete dog with a CSST heart has been running non stop for around 22 years now
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    RobG