Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remove broken section from cast iron radiator

Options
georgers
georgers Member Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a 24-section cast iron radiator used in a two-pipe hot water system. One of the sections has a 2" by 2" hole in it, no idea how it happened, but system was completely drained, so freeze damage is not likely. There are no rods holding the sections together. Can I remove the broken section, and, if so, how do I reconnect the radiator? First picture shows the air vent end, picture 3 shows the supply end. Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Without draw-rods, it probably has threaded nipples. It may be a goner.
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Almost looks like an arc strike from what little you can see in photo
  • georgers
    georgers Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. Photo shows close-up of joint between two sections. It looks to me as though the sections are too close together for threaded nipples - I don't see how the nipples could have been turned to draw the sections together, but that may just be my ignorance talking. I hope to learn more tomorrow when a recommended Heating/Cooling/Piping Mechanical Services contractor shows up; I believe I may be in over my head.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    The nipples could have been tightened from the ends, as the radiator was first put together, using a spud wrench.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    They are assembled with a special right hand/left hand short nipple. Here is a video of a newer radiator with the same setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYM4sDobREU
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15