Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are Half gallon/hr (.5gph) nozzles more prone to fouling (regardless of the spray angle)?

Jack M
Jack M Member Posts: 228
edited March 2015 in Oil Heating
Are these low (.5 gph) nozzles more prone to fouling? If a manufacturer like Riello offers a F3 with a spec range that stretches on the high end to 1gph and also offers a larger F5 with a spec range that drops on the low side down to 1ghr, are you better off with that larger capacity burner (even if your BTU requirement for either would be the same)? Finally, is a filter more effective when located near the burner over at the oil tank? (I realize that clean oil and maintenance is key however I have heard of burners that plug up and need changed more than once a year, regardless).

Comments

• Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    @Icesailor says "spin on" filers are the way to go. As far as the .5 and .6 nozzles......if you are burning #2 fuel oil, there shouldn't be any "extra" fouling just because the nozzles are smaller capacity. You'll want the quality nozzles for sure though (Delevan is as good as any of them.....and better than most... so I'm told)
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Personally, with a 0.50 gph nozzle I'd make sure the fuel oil tank is not outside in frigid temps.

Around here the 0.50 nozzles used in mobile home furnaces, are burning #1 kerosene from their outside tanks.

I was told that #2 oil kept in freezing temps is much harder to flow out of a smaller nozzle.

YMMV
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    The smaller the nozzle the more likely it is to plug up. Usually nozzles less than 1.00gph tend to be more troublesome. If the fuel tank is really contaminated some recommend an empty filter container piped near the tank (sludge pot) followed by a standard filter then a spin on filter at the burner. To me filters at the tank prevent plugged fuel lines.

You shouldn't adjust the nozzle size based on fuel contamination. Put the correct size nozzle in the burner based on burner/boiler size and BTU requirements.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    I have burned slop oil exclusively for the past two years through a .5 nozzle with no issues. The key is as Icesailor has said, use a spin on filter and all is well.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    It wouldn't hurt to have a oil line pre-heater as well. Better flow, better pattern, better burn.