Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP Phoenix light duty

Options
wogpa67
wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
edited March 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I've installed the commercial Phoenix units. Anyone have anything good or bad about the light duty?
I have a friend that is in need of a new NG water heater and I would like to use one. It's gotta have a better life expectancy then a BW power venter.

I read the handful of posts that came up on the search. Not much info.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Bad news travels fast . Good news , not so fast . We have several of them installed and have spec'd a bunch which all were installed since they were introduced . Good solid unit , beats the hell out of the vertex without the issues with electronics that can be present . Modulates too , it's a winner . Depending on where you are HTP has licensed Westinghouse to brand the heater and it can be stolen from Menards .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Only good...they meet / exceed the new water heater code as well. They are shorter which allows for easier swap outs as apposed to some other taller / top heavy brands. Stainless steel will last longer.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Hatteras is right about using it as a combi unit . Warmboard actually is attempting to get it in the field with their proprietary control module as a product called WarmSource .

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140204005427/en/Warmboard-Introduces-Revolutionary-Radiant-Heat-Solution—Total-Warmth#.VRggteG0Dm4

Looks like they may get it done
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • wogpa67
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    He actually has one zone of radiant in an addition that has it's own 50 gallon power vented Bradford.
    So that was my plan for it's use. HX and get rid of the leaking 80 and the 50.
  • wogpa67
    Options
    Looks like we will all be installing owner supplied equipment too soon.
    When I walked in and saw Mitsubishi mini's I could'nt believe it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    How would you go about selling a $2400 60 gal water heater?
  • Paul48
    Options
    How do you seperate the two? A FPHX needs higher than that to get back to that.
  • Paul48
    Options
    Wouldn't the price of that get you back to the price of one of HTP's tank type combis?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Rich said:

Depending on where you are HTP has licensed Westinghouse to brand the heater and it can be stolen from Menards .

Interesting menards also carries a Westinghouse mod/con with the looks of an HTP unit.

• Rich_49
    Options
    It is Gordy . Brad Monahan from HTP is overseeing that whole relationship . These Westinghouse units are in fact HTP with no changes in any equipment as I've been told .
    732-751-1560
  • wogpa67
    Options
    Apparently my distributor wants nothing to do with these. The price they quoted me was $10 higher then stated above plus Pa tax and $100 freight!!!
  • Gordy
    Options
    Rich said:

It is Gordy . Brad Monahan from HTP is overseeing that whole relationship . These Westinghouse units are in fact HTP with no changes in any equipment as I've been told .

Hmmm interesting. I don't know how to take this Rich. Why not just Have HTP be the name at Menards? Gotta be a few steps down on the unit? Gotta be something why bring Westinghouse in on it? Unless because the everyday consumer is more familiar with the Westinghouse name? They do steam Vessels for nuke plants not like they could not do their own Mod/con. Enlighten me please.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Gordy said:

Rich said:

Hmmm interesting. I don't know how to take this Rich. Why not just Have HTP be the name at Menards? Gotta be a few steps down on the unit? Gotta be something why bring Westinghouse in on it? Unless because the everyday consumer is more familiar with the Westinghouse name? They do steam Vessels for nuke plants not like they could not do their own Mod/con. Enlighten me please.

Gordy,

there's several reasons why manufacturers stealth brand their products. The big one that is cited most of the time is to reach 2 different markets/audiences.

HTP is the product sold thru supplyhouses to contractors.
    Westinghouse is the product sold direct thru big box stores direct to consumer.

It's an attempt to increase market share/product sold but not cannibalize the sales they'd normally get on their HTP brand, and also an attempt to not piss off contractors because they now can claim differentiation between the 2 products. It's a fine line that has to be walked by the manufacturer. Sometimes it works.. sometimes it backfires. "They aren't exactly the same product" when in actuality we know better.
    4Johnpipe
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Isn't Lennox selling HTP products as a replacement for the Complete Heat?

I think HTP sold tanks to Rheem for a while also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Gordy said:

Rich said:

Gordy ,

Just now spoke with Brad Monahan , head of branding the Westinghouse products . There is ABSOLUTELY no parts , pieces in the Westinghouse stuff that varies from HTP branded equipment . NONE , NADA , ZILCH ! That's as enlightened as I can make you my friend without spending 3 years , 3 months , and 3 days in silence on a mountaintop .

It was done in fact for the reasons mentioned above by Abracadabra .

To address Bob's comment also . HTP does tanks for many people , they also , apply the insulation to many folks tanks including Boiler Buddy . Not sure at present about any Lennox products that may or may not be manufactured in Freetown . Beautiful thing about these companies who have no shareholders , these gentlemen have identified that manufacturing something differently and possibly compromising your ability and name just don't work .
    732-751-1560
    4JohnpipeGordy
  • wogpa67
    Options
    That's good to know Rich. I showed my buddy the Westinghouse unit and he is interested in it. Thanks for confirming there are no differences between the two.
    Rich_49
  • Gordy
    Options
    Thanks @Rich.
    Rich_49
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Hatterasguy what are we looking at here,a water heater,a boiler ,a combi.Its pricey but looks good.@rich,can I use this in a commercial application ,thanks gents
  • Rich_49
    Options
    Johnny , it is a water heater . HTP labels it so it can be used as a space heating also appliance . Warmboard has an arrangement where they buy the unit and retrofit it with their proprietary module of controls and such and it is a heating only appliance . Local wholesalers should be able to get this to you for only a bit more than AO Smith Vertex . This unit modulates though where Vertex does not , maybe they do now to compete or meet upcoming code changes . Don't keep much in the loop about what AO is doing since I stopped using their stuff 6 years ago . So , it is a water heater , space heating appliance , or both . Price point is kick **** and warranty can't be beat . It may cost a bit more , but then again quality material , proper controls and testing and service cost money .
    732-751-1560
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I appreciate the info .Rich I think you gave me an answer to a upcoming job.Is is ok if I call you tomorrow,Happy Easter all
  • Rich_49
    Options
    You can certainly call me Johnny . Anytime .
    732-751-1560