Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

longer spigot pex adapters?

archibald tuttle
archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,079
of course lying on my back in a crawl space i was sweating a couple tees for new take offs and i took the spigot pex adapters down with me for the take offs. on one of the damn things, all the pipe connections take beautifully but that friggin spigot adapter its just beading up and running off. it was a big tip and that was the small end. might even have been too hot but the pretinning flux and lots of cleaning i was really surprised but i realized one thing.

they really don't give you much of a shoulder to ride on. if the spigot adapter were another half inch longer i doubt i would have had the problem. you're busy trying not to have flux and solder flow down onto the shank of the pex side of the fitting.

in hindsight, since i'm going to have to tear the whole thing apart and do it again, i could have just cut a 2" piece of copper tube and used a standard hub adapter. but i feel like it would still be more space efficient and joint efficient to use a spigot style adapter but i'm wondering if anybody has found some company making a longer spigot side?

thanks.
brian

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I'm assuming this is commodity F1807 stuff? IME many of those fittings are not exactly high spec parts.
    RobG
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    SWEI said:

I'm assuming this is commodity F1807 stuff? IME many of those fittings are not exactly high spec parts.

Your probably better off Sill-Fos'ing the joint than trying to stuff that loose fitting with solder.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,079
    problem was not really loose fit. I had several made up just fine. it was really tough reach. maybe I should have refluxed. it was the last joint of the tee and it did take but there appeared to be some rejection. was hard to see and reach and I could have flowed it more quickly and surely w/o overheating if the spigot was just longer so I wasn't fighting the end of the solder dropping off the sweat joint onto the narrower pex insert end
    they only give you maybe an eighth or 3 16th to work with.
    I never have trouble with the F1807 female hubs which I imagine r no more perfectly fit.