Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking and rusting radiators

Clancy11
Clancy11 Member Posts: 2
Has anyone had problems with Myson Decor leaking and rusting radiators? The manufacturer is trying to tell us its our installer's fault, although the manufacturer has changed the design since ours was installed I believe to mitigate the leaking problem. Our installer is very meticulous and experienced and followed installation instructions exactly, flushed the system properly.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How were the connections sealed? I have seen similar results when installers who thought they knew better used pipe dope and/or Teflon tape on the BSP threads.
  • Clancy11
    Clancy11 Member Posts: 2
    Our installer says he used both. Should he have done something different? Thank you
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    SWEI said:

How were the connections sealed? I have seen similar results when installers who thought they knew better used pipe dope and/or Teflon tape on the BSP threads.

That may well be. But one of those plugs is factory applied and it leaks too.

I've never seen any specific instructions from European manufacturers on special considerations for their equipment installed on this side of the pond. And many European manufacturers have a proclivity to sell to anyone who is West of the 50th Meridian, shutting out the very ones (us) who know how to properly install equipment. If it takes special adapters to connect that equipment in the country it is sold in, the manufacturer has an obligation to provide it.

I've repaired or replaced things like that "done by others" where adequate and properly applied Teflon Tape and the correct pipe sealant compound, or RTV silicone sealant solved any leak that appeared. That method isn't in any I/O manual I have ever seen.

Just what exactly is the proper (secret) procedure for connecting that European fixture to American sizes?

• icesailor
    edited March 2015
    Another point to ponder.

If the system is on well water, and it is "Normal" well water, it will eat right through that nice fancy European Powder Coated Enameled steel baseboard.

Right pronto, it will. A leak that looks like that, think what it looks like on the inside. Be interesting to see a water report on that well for sodium and chloride levels. PH and Iron too.
    AlCorelliNY
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    As Chris pointed out, test your water.

All of the panel radiators we have installed include a plug and a coin vent in a small package. The radiators have four ports. The installer connects supply, return, vent, and plug as needed.

Straight pipe threads are intended to be used with an anaerobic threadlocker. Myson currently supplies Loctite 565 with their radiators. We had a 50+% leak rate on a job where one team of plumbers decided to employ their standard Rectorseal #5 plus PTFE tape recipe instead of reading the instructions.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    edited March 2015
    An obvious question: is this on an open or closed loop system? Are there other leaks on the system that have been left unattended? Was softened water used to fill the system?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    What did they use for tubing? Copper? Barrier pex? Or in the case of one job that I am presently looking to do non barrier polybutylene.... :# Did they add any water treatment? How old?
  • icesailor
    SWEI said:

As Chris pointed out, test your water.

All of the panel radiators we have installed include a plug and a coin vent in a small package. The radiators have four ports. The installer connects supply, return, vent, and plug as needed.

Straight pipe threads are intended to be used with an anaerobic threadlocker. Myson currently supplies Loctite 565 with their radiators. We had a 50+% leak rate on a job where one team of plumbers decided to employ their standard Rectorseal #5 plus PTFE tape recipe instead of reading the instructions.

As expensive as those Powder Coated steel baseboards are, and the tendency for many to know more than the manufacturers, and never read instructions, the manufacturers should include two flush bushings to adapt from the straight pipe thread to American tapered thread.

When I go to vote, they always provide a pencil to mark the ballot. A couple of adapters on the bag isn't going to kill the sale.