Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suntec PRV-38 Oil Safety / Anti-Siphon

Options
Pete_18
Pete_18 Member Posts: 197
edited March 2015 in Oil Heating
I am thinking of having a Suntec PRV-38 Oil Safety / Anti-Siphon added to my gravity fed oil line. Does anyone have a good experience with this particular part or if not, have an alternative they recommend? I would likely want to have this device installed on top of the Roth tank right after the Fireomatic. I do not want the anti-siphon device to have a filter on it since I already have a filter. Is there a better location for this to live? Supposedly it can only pull 3 feet, but the top of the Roth to my Fireomatic is like 5+ feet, so I am not sure the most appropriate place for this device to live, are you really splicing the oil line and having this hang in the middle of the air? The Tigerholm S224-2 appears to have an adjustable height up to 13ft so it could live right on top of the Roth, but nobody seems to carry it/stock it.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    I guess your talking about what is called a osv or oil safety valve .Whne i have sued them in conjunction with a tiger loop i usually install the osv at or close to the tank From there i run my single pipe to my tigerloop which is usually mounted with in a ft or so of your burner pump.I always connect them to the pump using flexable fuel lines and usually use the bottom inlet and outlet on the pump coming down w two differnt length 1/4 nipples w 90 and then connect the flex adpter gives u a little room to tighten them properly and the plus is when u clean and or replace your pump screen the cover is not connected to any thing.you can always add atee to the supply side to chk pump vac if need be same goes for your supply line to your tigerloop inlet .Don t forget a firematic valve on that supply line ideally by your tigerloop.I am a fan of a regular general filter the reason being at least you can see indications of moisture and sludge in the bottom of the steel caninster usually unable to see that with a spin on but the spin ons are easier and faster and usuallya bit cleaner to change then a older type general .I usually always to to wallly worlfd and buy a cheasey 10 dollar roaster pan and leave it under the burner i do this on new boiler jobs i usually also make brackets to support my filters and keep off the ground so it s easy to geta catch bucket under them no one like the smell of fuel oil and it s small little things like that that makes it easier to service and the easier to service the more likelyhood it will be done .It s the small lack of any detailsa or thinking as some thing i see alot on oil jobs it s sad no wonder it gets abad rap but with the exploding gas main in jersey whats the difference lol peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If you insist on a oil safety valve, use this one. A Suntec PRV-38PF. Read the instructions. A OSV/PRV can NOT be installed more than 3' above the burner pump. It has to be installed at the burner pump level. It isn't designed to be used on top or a oil tank. If you use a Tigerloop, I think it should be installed at the inlet of the Tigerloop. If you use a Ultra, on the inlet. They were a big requirement a number of years ago. Webster made one. They were problematic. They don't get as enforced as much as they once did. There big use was in buried suction lines in case they broke. High vacuum makes them close and stay closed. The same as high backpressure. Which is why you can't use them on top of tanks or way above burners.

Unless a AHJ is requiring them, install them as the manufacturers say, or avoid them. Unless you are experienced with oil burners and their pumping, you will be on some Internet site asking how to get it to work.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Clammy,

You're an old experienced dog. Maybe not as old as I.

You and others are set in your ways over your deep affection for canister filters like they put on old 1940's Fords. You have this idea about being able to actually LOOK at the sludge and SEE the water in the bottom of a filter element. Look in here. This filter is a spin on, filtering sludge in a soon to be replaced tank with no filtration to the primary oil pumps. They were still passing fuel. There were other filters on the secondary side that were as clean as the day they were installed. Look closely into the center of the hole. There is no sign of sludge on the filtered side of the filter, or any signs of water in the bottom of the filter. I have seen Spin-On's as bad or worse than these. Even ones that stopped passing oil, never had sludge on the insides. I have had far too many canister filters that I needed pliers to get the element out of.

You really are missing out on how much easier your life will be once you switch. Trust me. I know from experience. Especially with old and sludgy tanks.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I prefer Webster personally. Not a bad idea in certain cases. I agree with Clammy on filters, but you already know I like my wool socks Ice
  • icesailor
    Options
    I put Eucerine on my feet to keep them from drying out. I have done so for years, and I wear wool socks, year around. Maybe I could loan you some of my wool socks and you could use the in your filters. Eucerine is over $15.00, per tub. Maybe I could save some $$$.
    billtwocase
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    You are too funny Ice
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    very funny ice and i take it as a complement espically from you as my friends always say no sense talkin to him he s a dinosaw ain t gonna change him a throw back to those to have work ethics and make no excuses for being a man and standing tall before any and take about zero crap got it from my dad he was born and raised in the bronx s .Like with dogs if you ain t leading then you got the same view as every body else lol .Still like those canister filter put i realize those spin on are much cleaner and faster .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • icesailor
    Options
    @clammy:

Your dad must have been a keen observer of life. Those old guys often were. Maybe that's why they call us old dogs. Maybe your fathers analogy of dogs following is why so many youngsters get that idea about us.

Reminds me of what our children say to us when they finally grow up. Especially son's.

"Dad, when I was 17, I thought you were the dumbest cluck that the world ever created. I was ashamed to think you were my father. Now that I am 25 years old, I can't believe how much you learned in that time. I'm proud to have you as a father."

We won't discuss what they did during those 8+ years.

As far as filters, it's not that I stopped what I was doing and switched to Spin-On's, I didn't. But when I started servicing ones that had them, I noticed how much cleaner they were and I never saw a dirty pump strainer, no matter what. It was the nozzle strainers that really did it. A few years back, the oil company was delivering a lot of oil with crap in it. I had a lot of Carlin 100CRD's They took Hago 60'SS nozzles. It seemed that all I was doing was changing nozzles. But the ones with Garbers weren't needing to be changed. I switched some strainers and they ran fine. I switched to Garbers, and I never had another problem.

In the book The Perfect Storm by Sabastian Jungherr or maybe it was The Hungry Ocean by Linda Greenlaw, they talk about this. Commercial offshore fisherman all have diesel powered boats. They have multiple banks of fuel filter racks, which are transferrable if you have to change filters. They might take two cases of filters on a trip whether they need them or not. The fuel tanks aboard are as old as the boat. And probably have never been cleaned. But when a boat is out in a gale of wind, heaved too , into the wind and waves, any sludge in the tanks is all worked loose and getting sucked into the engine fuel filters. If they clog an injector, and the engine stops, they are going down. Especially if the boat turns sideways to the sea. In 60' waves, you need every ounce of power to keep the boat headed into the wind and waves. They have all sorts of gauges on the filter arrays. If one bank is clogging up, they just switch to another fresh bank. They can change the filters without disturbing the fuel flow or the engine. Racor is the brand you see the most of. Even the Coast Guard and their inshore lifesaving boats have Racor filter systems. They come in all sizes and Micron sizes. All the yachts you see have them. Even gasoline engines use them. A good filter can save your life when offshore. For the difference in cost, I take the spin-on.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    icesailor said:

They have all sorts of gauges on the filter arrays. If one bank is clogging up, they just switch to another fresh bank. They can change the filters without disturbing the fuel flow or the engine. Racor is the brand you see the most of. Even the Coast Guard and their inshore lifesaving boats have Racor filter systems. They come in all sizes and Micron sizes. All the yachts you see have them. Even gasoline engines use them.

Funny you should mention Racor. A good friend of ours here in NM actually designed those filters back in the '70s. I've used a lot of them on gensets.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Well, if a Racor filter set is good enough for a Gen Set, it ought to be good for a oil burner. The parent company of general Filters own all the competitive filter companies. They wouldn't have bought Garber if they were junk.