Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Private conversations

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
If you want to have a private conversation with another member do not post on a member's "wall" on their profile page. That activity (seen under "activity") is 100% public. To keep conversations between you and another person private, use the actual private message function instead. You'll find that in the envelope in the "Mebox." Click on the envelope and then on New Message. Start typing the name or nickname the member uses on the site. It will auto-complete. Write your message and send it that way if you want it to stay private.

Dan
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    does that still send an email notification. I don't find the "mebox", just "send message".
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    I was going to ask about the "mebox" too...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    It's the box on the right that has your photo or avatar and name. It's just above NEW DISCUSSION
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Some of us just aren't that clever with computers!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vaporvac
    Options
    Just didn't know it was called "the mebox". I think I've been doing it right. I love getting the email notification. Wish all forums did this.
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So far I've had bad luck with this.
    More often than not, it seems the forum picks the wrong nickname to send the PM to.

If you type the @ symbol in a normal thread like this and then type part of a name, many times 10+ different versions of the same name pop up for some reason and I guess only one is the real one.

This morning I've tried to PM Mark Eatherton a bunch of times and everytime it appears it sent it to an older version of his name or something. After the message is sent the "Mark Eatherton" in the conversation doesn't have his avatar or his stats if you click on the name. It's all zeros.

This happens if you go to his page and click on message, it still doesn't seem to work.

I have to assume this is why quite a few people I've PM'd never responded. Either that or they just don't like me, either is possible. :)

@icesailor mentioned responding to a PM I sent a while back but I never got it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vaporvac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Is there a section for members names that one can search? Proboards has this and it's quite useful. I've looked here before, but could find such a thing.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have tried to message NBC, @nicholas bonham-carter , a couple times too and it just doesn't work. seems to work for most others though.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Usernames with spaces in them can not be tagged in a post. The names that do have spaces were imported from the old forum. Vanilla could convert the spaces to some other character, but it would cost Dan some money and surely create some confusion given that all of those people would have to change their (probably stored) login credentials.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    When I private message someone I usually just click on their name and then hit the message button on their page. I have noticed doing it by typing their name usually comes back with numerous possibilities so it presents like a crap shoot. Working from their page...no questions.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I never actually tried typing the recipient's name directly in the To: line. I just click on their name in a post I'm reading and then click the [Message] link on their profile page. No worries about spaces or spelling there.
    KC_Jones
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Like I said,

Going to Mark Eatherton's page and clicking message on that page, ends up sending a message to the wrong one. :(
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Options
    Jim_R said:

no @Fred just Fred then click Fred.. i think.. it's case sensitive.. mobile browser is tougher

@Jim_R , my mistake. I don't have a problem sending a message. I run into issues when I try to mention someone in a post. Try mentioning @Nicholas Bonham-Carter and the mention usually goes to another user just called Nick.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Fred said:

Jim_R said:

no @Fred just Fred then click Fred.. i think.. it's case sensitive.. mobile browser is tougher

@Jim_R , my mistake. I don't have a problem sending a message. I run into issues when I try to mention someone in a post. Try mentioning @Nicholas Bonham-Carter and the mention usually goes to another user just called Nick.
    He is probably wondering why you keep tagging him...lol.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Jim_RHarvey Ramer
  • Fred
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

Fred said:

Jim_R said:

He is probably wondering why you keep tagging him...lol.
    LOL, I'm sure you're right!
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Would there be any way to just be able to click on the person in the post and then have a "PM" button on their profile so that you know you are linking the right person?
  • vaporvac
    Options
    I think that option exists. That's what I usually do.
  • Fred
    Options
    Often times you may want to refer a poster to someone who isn't already mentioned in the post so, you do the @.... so that they are made aware, by way of an email/notice, that they were mentioned in a specific post.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    RobG said:

Would there be any way to just be able to click on the person in the post and then have a "PM" button on their profile so that you know you are linking the right person?

That's what I did and every time it went to the wrong Mark Eatherton.

I couldn't figure out how to even get it to work.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Chris, (or anyone else for that matter) I am not getting any messages. My email address is markeathertonATmac.com if you want to get ahold of me. The AT is actually an @ but you knew that :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

4Johnpipe