Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

slow closing valve

Options
billygoat22
billygoat22 Member Posts: 124
I have a customer that system has developed slamming noise/ waterhammer. when more than one zone is calling and one closes, gets a banging.

if I slow the rate of closing on zone valves by easing on shut, (honeywell 8043) do not get slamming. If one zone running, no noise when closes, since pump shuts off as it closes.

waould like to know if I can retrofit a slow closing valve motor in place of the existing motor to stop the waterhammer? thanks.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Zone valve backwards?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Often that hammer is caused by too much pump. Or the valve is in backwards

If it's possible. Delta P circ is a nice fix, and it reduces power consumption
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • billygoat22
    billygoat22 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    valves in right, 1st thing I checked. only one pump for system. has 4- 3/4" lines, one of which is domestic hot water. other three are series loop basebd circuits for each floor.
  • TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Simple fix. Remove the cover on the zone valve and you will see two springs. Unhook one end of the spring that is easily assessable with fine needle nose pliers. This will allow the valve to close slowly.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    If it just "developed", what changed? Was it always there?
    What type of circulator is installed?

More often than not, it could be just the application and choosing the correct circ for the project. Variable speed circs can and will help, but without knowing what changed, you just dont want to throw money at it and hope that is fixes it.
    I always want to know exactly whats wrong/changed/ so that it fixes it the first time.

Dave
    Dave H