Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiator leaking sometimes, driving me crazy

Options
Anne_5
Anne_5 Member Posts: 27
Hey everyone. I have a mystery for you to solve if you can. My radiator in the bathroom leaks, but only sometimes. I have a one pipe system and the leak seems to be coming from the nut beneath the vent. A friend took a look at it when it was dry and couldn't figure out where the leak is. I've been monitoring it since and it did leak yesterday morning before I woke up so naturally I couldn't call on my friend to look as it stopped leaking by the time I crawled out of bed. My bathroom floor is a mess, I have smelly mold and I need this fixed so I can get the floor taken care of. There is a good amount of water when it does leak. On Saturday I spent a good 1/2 hr mopping up the floor while it leaked out until the boiler stopped. It will only leak when the boiler is on that I have observed. I'm thinking it may need a new nut, and hoping and praying to God the actual radiator is not rusted to cause the leak.

What can be my troubles? Thanks for responding.
It's supposed to knock. It's steam.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Pictures of the rad and the suspected leak area would be helpful. I am guessing the nut you are referring to is the plug at the bottom end of the rad. It could be leaking...anything is possible.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    Pictures would be helpful! While we are waiting for that, though, make sure of two things which will make stopping the leak, if it is where KC suggested, much easier: first, the valve at the other end of the radiator must be fully open. If you need to control the heat from the radiator, that can best be done with the vent itself -- not the valve. Second, make sure that the radiator slopes towards the inlet end. Doesn't have to be a whole lot, but it does have to slope that way. Use a good level -- don't try to judge it by eye. That way, the condensate from the steam will have a way to drain out of the radiator and back to the boiler where it belongs, rather than onto your floor.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Now you know why your boiler is rotted out. How long has this been leaking? That and other leaks are what cause excessive water to be added to the boiler. Too much feed water kills steam boilers. Make sure you find and fix all the leaks. If they are not fixed they will cause the next boiler to rot out also.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    She didn't say anything about the boiler having problems. Indeed, it almost sounds somehow as though this is an apartment, perhaps.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Ah. I missed the connection. Getting old. Sorry!
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    No need to apologize. I'm the one with the problem. :) I've been asked if I expect to find the meaning of life on this site and I sometimes think I will.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    KC_Jones
  • Anne_5
    Options
    KC it is from the plug. Weird it only happens sometimes though, but I guess that's a good thing.
  • Anne_5
    Options
    Jamie last year I broke the shut off so it's only 1/2 on I think. It was that old plastic looking but not stuff and it crumbled when I panicked and shut it off to prevent the leak. sigh. I need too many things done to this system. It is in my house, and I am also having a leak around all the brass on the low water cut off and the sight glass.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Still need to see pictures, without them it's just wild guesses.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15