Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heated Shower Wall (How to do it) ?

Options
Tim Potter
Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
I need to rebuild the shower & replace the tub in our master bath. Since I can't get under the floor to put radiant floor in, I was wondering about radiant walls. I've searched the forum, & come up with various descriptions.

How would you go about doing it?

How high up the wall in the tub area & full height in shower area???

Radiant plates? some kind of floor panel application mounted on wall?

Pictures are always appreciated.

Thank You,

Tim
Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Heat loss calculation comes first. Short answer: most bathrooms need more area than you think. Cover everything practical with plates or panels and tubing.
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Thanks SWEI, I'll pack as much radiant into the limited area as I can.
    Suggestions on who's plates or panels?
    Hardy Backer over ?
    what waterproofing to use?

I saw some mention of running plates Vert vs Horiz

Thank you
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Is this going to be the only source of heat for the room? What are the room dimensions?

You may be able to get enough heat output with radiant shower and tub surround walls. And maybe add a towel warmer, either hydronic or electric.

I used an electric Myson towel radiator in my one bath so I can run it year around without firing the boiler system for a low load.

I run a heat transfer plate on both sides of every stud, from floor to ceiling for radiant walls.
    Warm towels are like heated seats in your truck, once you try them...
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    icesailor
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Don't forget the ceilings as radiant space also. Nothing better in a bath than fully enveloping yourself in radiant warmth.
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Heated seats in bath/shower areas (that shelf area at the back of the tub or shower) are the bomb. Oh, and heated mirrors don't fog.

Are you installing from the front or the rear of the wall? C plates can be installed from the rear to save existing tile or stone work. U plates (good ones, not the beer can type) work better from the front. Insulate behind everything as best you can, and watch your dewpoint.
    Gordy
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options
    I remember looking at an apartment with radiant heat (from the 50's) and the bathroom had radiant walls, which was quite nice, however, it didn't work out for a number of reasons. It would be wonderful to have warm walls. One of my showers effectively has radiant heat from the convector chase behind it - it also warms to the bottom of the tub.