Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

White Powdery Substance

Options
BillAllen
BillAllen Member Posts: 103
Just installed a W/M Gold going up through a garage direct vent SS 2 feet below roof line. Noticed today in the S/P just below it some leakage for the seams of the S/P white powder little bit there. Just in a one of the joints. Boiler looks good an clean. I've seen it before on jobs but those were older boilers This is 2 months old. ??

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    the white powder is the residue from condensation. that powder is acidic and not a great sign of operating conditions. (unless it's sawdust) Is the boiler operating above 140 degrees within 5 min of startup? How cold is it in the garage?
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Garage is cold just above outside temps. Actually the homeowner does create sawdust in the garage but I still think its acidic.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Cold Start Crud in a cold chimney.

If it is a direct connect to the top of the boiler, given time, it will rot out the boiler.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    It would help if the boiler were in a conditioned space.
  • icesailor
    Options
    With a cold start, not in my experience.
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Keep in mind this boiler has a tankless heater also the low limit is set higher. I'm not sure it starting from such a cold start when calling.
  • icesailor
    Options
    The chimney is cold. Does the SS insulated chimney have the proper cleanout tee on the bottom? or is the smoke pipe just stuck in with an adapter? They "Dust" like crazy. Just not as bad as a cold start.
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Yes
  • BillAllen
    Options
  • BillAllen
    Options
    You think?
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Actually it came with a .95 W/M Gold WGTO
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Bill, is this set up as top, or rear flue? Rear flue stack temp is always lower on these, and the nozzle is good with 140 PSI. Maybe some don't know enough about nozzle size and pressure rating
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Top flue goes straight up 10 feet to roof. 7". SS 3 feet below roof line. Boiler working great looks great but I notice a little acid going on at one joint about 6 feet up. This boiler is in a garage the garage is not heated but is insulated and sheetrocked.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    How is the shanty cap? Does it have a tee?
  • BillAllen
    Options
    The cap can be removed for cleaning at the roof top. No tee.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    A tee inside on the vertical run would be a good thing. It will also act as a base for solids to collect rather than plugging the boiler
    icesailor
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Barometric draft
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Possibly I could have come off the top of the boiler with a 7" 90
    then a 7" T and pipe it up from there. This still does not answer the acidic problem higher.
  • icesailor
    Options
    BillAllen said:

Actually it came with a .95 W/M Gold WGTO

If it has a 1.00 GPH nozzle and the pump pressure hasn't been dropped appropriately, it is over fired. And inefficient.

• billtwocase
    Options
    Not if it's a 4 section Ice
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Total mistake .not an atmospheric.
    i apologize. . still as you can take it off the back of the boiler that would be the better choice.
  • icesailor
    Options
    BillAllen said:

Possibly I could have come off the top of the boiler with a 7" 90
    then a 7" T and pipe it up from there. This still does not answer the acidic problem higher.

Don't do that. WTGO's that come off the top are noisy and a PITA to clean because you have to remove the smoke pipe to clean them.

• icesailor
    Options

Not if it's a 4 section Ice

WTGO's that come with .95 GPH nozzles are 3 section boilers, If you get the special energy ones, they go down to .65 GPH.

WTGO's come standard with 1.20 GPH nozzles. If you get the down rated ones, they came with 1.00 GPH nozzles.

You can fire a WTGO boiler at 1.oo GPH and the numbers aren't bad. They are just better with a .85 GPH at 140# Pressure.

At least the ones I installed did, and my own personal one did.

You can drop the pump pressure to 100# and use the 1.00 GPH, but the numbers won't be as good. Especially on a cold start when it is cold.

IME