Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The REST of the story...

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
edited January 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
Wallies, WAY down the wall was the discussion about how to raise a boiler off the ground onto a cinderblock pedestal. Instead of adding to the old thread, I will finish adding the critical "Teeter totter" pictures to this thread. Enjoy!

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
Gordy

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Don't throw that teeter totter away; there will be another time you need it. Put it in the basement with all the other stuff.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Always loved Paul Harvey.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options

Don't throw that teeter totter away; there will be another time you need it. Put it in the basement with all the other stuff.

Because if you remember that it is there, when you spend the morning getting it out, it will be 6" to short to do the job.

The "Rule" is that it will never be 6" too long. You'll need to buy the material to build another one that fits.

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    hey mark was reading your post ,we recently did one on a pedestil but instead of your teater tooter we brought a small pump jack and inserted some deep versa bar it was wonderful and much safer and easier then making a wood ramp .Ended up using quite a few times in the last couple of months it was a good investiment and is easier then screwing your back .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Alan, you know me too well... I have already recycled the teeter totter. It is now a wall beneath my deck where my thermal battery system will be placed.

Ice said "Because if you remember that it is there, when you spend the morning getting it out, it will be 6" to short to do the job."

Ice, that's what she said :-)

Clammy, nice to see your words. This ramp idea is not for everyone, and if I could have, I'd have used an engine hoist to get the boiler up there, but this worked for me (I work alone) in this application. It's not for everyone, only those in a jam with ingenuity :-)

I have a good friend (Der Heatmeister) who has a break down engine hoist that I could have used, IF there had been a solid surface all around the base, but alas, there was not. He too works alone for the most part, and devised his hoist for placing mod cons on walls. It's capable of lifting 1,000 pounds, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.