Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Myson Toe Kick Heater

Options
Michael G
Michael G Member Posts: 23
edited January 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a Myson toe kick heater under our kitchen sink that seems to be malfunctioning. I believe it has to be replaced since it is barely working. I am not a plumber and it appears to be attached to our hydronic heating pipes. I presume that this is something that a local plumber can replace and install for me? Any words of wisdom with regards to brands and/or sizing of the unit? What about if I should consider repairing the existing unit which just seems to be having a difficult time with the fan turning the motor to push out the hot air? see photos of the unit attached. Thanks! Michael

Comments

• Michael G
    Options
    So I think that it may just need to have the limit switch replaced. Otherwise, I'll have to replace the fan/motor and then the entire unit. That's what Myson told me. Any other thoughts? Any local contractors near 10706 available to assist?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Go with Turbonics Toester or Kickster. So much better
  • Michael G
    Options
    Thanks very much. Is it worth actually paying to replace the whole unit (getting contractor to drain system, remove and install whole new unit), or finding someone to help me replace the limit switch? If the latter, would an electrician be able to replace the limit switch?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The switch is set up so that it turns on the fan whenever the pipe is hot. Usually if the fan will not work, either the pipe is not hot due to a lack of water flow or the switch is bad.
    Are the pipes hot?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Michael G
    Options
    Pipes are hot but fan won't turn. However, I tried to replace the limit switch myself and couldn't figure it out (I am a consumer). Should I get an electrician to come try to fix it?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I could be an electrician, heating guy or appliance repairman.
    The quick way to check is to jumper the switch (connect the two wires) and see if the fan works.
    It will be 120 volt, so if you are not comfortable you should call a professional.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Michael GRobG
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    We replace alot of those fan/motor assemblies. Very easy to do provided there's is access. (Usually 2 wing nuts I think)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Got power? Before you replace the fan switch make sure the unit has power.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream