Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflo Tee spacing

bigbarney
bigbarney Member Posts: 2
My system is 3/4" lines with baseboard units,and now we are to install a fan coil unit.The fan coil has 1/2"

tubing in it Approx 30-40' . When inserting monoflo (2 tees) , how far apart do they need to be spaced?

I believe that only one will not create enough differential to get good flow through the convector. I read the

article on B&G website but couldn't find the info there.

Thank You

Bigbarney

Comments

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Minimum 12 inches apart
    RJ
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    In series with other baseboards?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    As far as possible to created the maximum pressure drop in the common piping. Dead Men used to alternate supply and return to various radiators to make this work.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Another trick is to put a couple 90's between the supply and return tee. Or put a globe valve between the to tee's.

I can't say that I have ever come across the cv rating on a monoflow tee.

I think it's a pretty tall order to expect monoflows to push water through 30 to 40' of 1/2". Especially if the main is 3/4".

Disclaimer: I don't like monoflow tee's.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited January 2015

I think it's a pretty tall order to expect monoflows to push water through 30 to 40' of 1/2". Especially if the main is 3/4".

Agreed. I'm thinking a small pump, controlled by the thermostat or whatever signals demand to the blower. How many GPM does the coil need?
    Disclaimer: I don't like monoflow tee's.
    Disclaimer: I don't either.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    How many feet of baseboard are you feeding with that 3/4" line?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    If what you are trying to do is install a few rooms of 3/4 copper convectors in different rooms, series looped, and put a toe kick heater in a bathroom or kitchen, on a single series looped zone, DO NOT try to series loop through the 1/2" coil. Install one 3/4" X 1/2" copper Monoflow with the arrow or red ring facing the other tee and let it rip. I've used two. One worked just as well and was cheaper due to the high cost of the venture tees. Try to use a joist bay distance to space the tees. Don't put them together with close nipples. I can't tell you how many I have installed this way. More than ten but less than 50. I never had one that didn't work. They even vented themselves with a good strong "Power Purge".
  • bigbarney
    bigbarney Member Posts: 2
    I will report back when the weather gets a little warmer, 7* now,
    and we are able to make the changes suggested. Thanks to all that gave help.

BigBarney