Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what in direct water tank?

maybemark
maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
Can I please get feedback on what people may think what would be the best indirect hot water tank to purchase, keeping in mind, dependibility, longivity and cost.

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    what does cost mean,whats your budget.As with everything you get what you pay for.I think Burnham Alliance stone lined is a decent product.Remember its not just about the indirect you must do your homework and figure out pipe size requirements,pump sizes etc.Some indirects have less restrictions than others.A lot of variables to consider.
    Gordy
  • maybemark
    jonny
    thank you for your input
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    What do you have for a boiler now?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Also, what kind of water chemistry do you have?
  • maybemark
    kcopp
    at the moment, i have my old system, i am changing my boilercome spring, and trying to figure out what tank to get also.
    I am considering the whn 85 or the or the prestige solo
    thanks for your interest

swei
    i live in chicago, the ph is a bit high, i think around 7.8 or 8
    thanks for your interest
    Mark
  • kcopp
    The two tanks I prefer around here are the W-M Aquasmart (all stainless) and the TT Smart indirect.
  • maybemark
    kcopp
    The WM looks very nice, would you happen to know if I would be able to hook up the sensor for domestic that comes with the TT boiler, for the WM tank, or do i need to stick with TT to get that feature, or just use an aquastat.
    I do think i am leaning more to the TT boiler, do you have any thoughts of that?
  • SWEI
    edited December 2014
    We usually specify SMART indirects here thanks to our hard (11-12 GPG typical) water. Caveat: they do not tolerate high chloride levels.

Triangle Tube uses a somewhat non-standard 3/8" bullet probe 12k thermistor. I have not been able to locate a US source for 12k thermistors in the typical 1/4" OD format most commonly used here, so check your tank specs to make sure the TT sensor will fit, or be prepared to special order something -- possibly from Europe.
  • maybemark
    swei
    I don't want to start ordering special to make this work.
    I like the feature of the boiler being abble to control the domestic water temp, but i don't want to make this into something more than needs to be made into.

swei
    what boiler and tank would you recomend.
    I do not know how hard the water is in chicago. It's city water,
    thanks
    mark
  • SWEI
    The SMART tanks obviously work with the TT probes. I'd call any other potential supplier and ask them if their thermowell will accommodate a 3/8" probe. I suspect many will.
  • maybemark
    swei
    what set up would you recomend?
    boiler and tank?
    Mark
  • maybemark
    swei
    I forgot, you liked the whn85. I think you mentined this on my other post. Does this boiler have the ability of controling temp on the domestic water? Does this boiler have the ability of trouble shooting on the screen?
    86. I am still not settled on what boiler and tank to get. I just want one, that i might be able to do the maintaince on myself, and it being smarter than me, to let me know what needs to be done.
    My smart phone is much smarter than me.
    If the whn has this ability, I should consider it also
    mark
  • SWEI
    Either of the boilers will work, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I would suggest the WHN085 based on your heat loss calc. Any of the quality indirects, properly sized, will work quite well. The overwhelming majority of gas-fired tank water heaters deliver less than 40k into the water when they are actually firing. Standby losses aside, the WHN085 will recover twice as fast. Do the math.
  • kcopp
    Yes the TT sensor works w the Weil tank. I have used it before. You may have to file off some of the plastic on the outside but that is ok to do.
  • SWEI
    Oh, and the WHN has great controls, even more flexible than the TriMax.
  • maybemark
    Though I will not be putting in the system until spring. i was thinking of taking advantage of the 5% off at supply house.com.
    Such as getting my pumps, dirtmag air eliminator and expantion tanks.
    In some pipe drawings it shows an expantion tank at the domestic water, others don't show it. what's your opinion on this, and what size, if I need one.
    For my boiler, 90 years ago, this was an old gravity fed system with alot of radiators in my 2400 sq ft house. i can not find a place to tell what size to purchase. Is there a calculator for sizing expantion tanks? and if so, where do i find it. i don't see it in any of the manuals, unless i went though the manual too fast.
    Might any of you know what size i should purchase?
    I do have an old over head tank, I wasn't thinking of using it, but should i consider it, it must be 30 or 40 gal tank. It does get water in it, i just vent it every season
    thanks guys
    mark
  • SWEI
    An expansion tank is needed on the cold water inlet to any domestic water heater whenever a check valve, PRV, or backflow preventer is installed upstream. Sometimes those devices are on the utility side of the wall where you can't see them. Cheap insurance to install one in my book.

What size and type of water heater do you have now? Is it producing enough hot water for your household?
  • maybemark
    swei
    I have a reem 50 gal, on it's last legs
    I'm going to go with the indirect, once i put in the new boiler in the spring, not sure which tank I will go with yet. At the moment, there are only 2, sometime 3 in the house, but the house can hold 5 people
  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
    Just my 2¢, I am having a problem with my 6 year-old TT Smart 40, leaking from under top cover, and they are making me jump through hoops in order to honor their "Lifetime Warranty." After attending their in-house class and factory tour, I had no expatiations of a fight when their product failed. Until now, I have been praising my TT 110 & Smart 40, even when running part of NYC's Rapid RepairsvProgram, I steadily voiced my recommendation to home owners looking to upgrade. Now, well, you can just imagine my present day comments.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    Jimbo
    Yhanks for the heads up on the tank, do you feel the same way on the 110, because that is what i was thinking of putting in, or the whn85
    mark
  • Jimbo_5
    Don't want to jinx myself, but so far the TT 110 has been fine, called TT a few times early on to tweek the controls, just to fine tune it. This honoring their warranty hesitation has really got my balls twisted, though. I'm wondering what they would do if it had been the boiler, rather than the tank, at about triple the expense. Triple the resistance to honor the warranty??
  • maybemark
    Jimbo
    I feel for you buddy, and am wondering if i should change my thoughts on the boiler. I appreciate you coming out and telling me.
  • Jimbo_5
    To see a "twin" of my Smart 40, just look on YouTube under Triangle Tube Smart 40 Leaker.
  • maybemark
    someone told that heatflo and supersto and both good tanks. i feel bad for you, I was ready to get a TT solo110, maybe i should get the whn85 instead
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    I know I am late to the party here but I think the Lochinvar Squire is the best that I have come across. We used Superstor for years and just found the Squire to have a little better build quality. We use mostly Triangle boilers w/ some Lochinvar WHNs and Squire tanks, just the best fit/quality setup we found. The tank in tank design of Triangle indirect just does not sit well with me. Not to say any real reason except mainly their drain or lack of design. Might have change by now but not sure?
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    tim
    I ended up getting the squire 40 gal
    I have another post, i wonder if you would comment on. I got my whn085 today, and i found out it was born in 2011. Do you have any comments on that? They are willing to return about 27% of my money, if i keep it