Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Midco modulating burner

Are there any new developments in the adaption of these burners to our steam boilers?
Principally it's the control strategy which is the key.--NBC

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Nicholas, did I miss your church install or is that still in the works? I hope marks is reading your question. I'm also curious how riello is coming along with their smaller two-stage gas valve for conversion burners. Happy Thansgiving. (Last year I didn't celebrate at all as we were installing the twins.Hard to believe I had to wait over two months to get it up and running in some fashion.)
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • still in the works, so maybe next year--NBC
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    rebooting this thread after i saw the Midco in Chicago. I was waiting on Carlin and Riello and lost track that Midco was there already.

Mark, what are you using for a logging solution. Or, when you talk about event log, are you just talking about writing down whats on the manometer every 30 secs along or.

To really hone what is going on would require temp sensors at every radiator and one of the Dwyer low pressure gauges with 4-20 ma style output and outdoor temperature and gas flow rate to boiler and then you could really start to figure out what's going on. But you also need a simply platform to bring that information together and that was the biggest thing i missed a chance to look for having to pull out of the Chicago show early.

Onset drives me crazy. you have to buy all kinds of quirky crap just to monitor the on off of the boiler - nevermind whether their is an affordable gas meter with electronic flow output in compatible format.

and speaking of "quirky" what ever happened to wifi and straight to your computer in some universal format. i bought a couple of those quirky spotters for $29 at home despot but of course these numbskulls didn't set them up for logging so to hack that you have to set a million instructions like if the temp is 70 send me and email and if the temp is 71 send me an email, etc. and then you have to use some program to sort the subject matter in all your emails and create a spreadsheet. but i digress as usual.

the real question, early reliability feed back on the Midco. Cost range, they claimed 20,000 to 450,000 btu continuous modulation in the 10 minutes i had to talk to them at the show. And how well does their free air adjustment across firing rates seem to work. anybody run combustion on them through cycles in the real world?