Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

incomplete burn

mburg
mburg Member Posts: 46
I was working on a cast iron boiler with cast burners. Some of the holes on the burners towards the end of the manifold where not igniting gas out of them. I checked the gas pressure as well as the orifices. All was okay any thoughts on why some of the burners where not completely igniting?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Some of us who have serviced gas burners on commercial kitchen stoves find that the CI burners have their ports obstructed with rust and grease. We found that there is a specific drill size so we hogged out the rust from the obstructed holes with the proper sized drill, and they then worked fine. Same with gas burners.
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Take burners out, and clean them. Check as Ice points out holes for rust.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2014
    Make it your final step to wash them off with HOT water and them make sure they're dry before re-installing them. An air compressor with a nozzle is a good way to get all of the water out of them.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • mburg
    mburg Member Posts: 46
    All the ports are completely clear
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Is it natural or LP gas?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Ironman said:

Is it natural or LP gas?

It works on LP. That's the only thing I ever worked on. Except for some really cruddy locally manufactured gas with a BTU or around 400 BTU's per cubic foot. The holes needed to be as big as you could get them.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    They may look clear but they are not or gas would come out of them. Might be a spider web down there that you can't see.