Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how to replace rheem water heater combustion sensor?

Put a Rheem water heater in and same day the customer was drying up basement and put a fan I'm the direction of the heater causing to blow out the pilot light and causing the combustion sensor to trip. Has anyone seen this happen and has anyone replace one these? I understood that the sensor goes off when there's no/insufficient air flow to combustion chamber? Also does the entire burned assembly have to be removed to replace combustion sensor? Kicking myself in the butt!!!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    yes. You need to pull the entire assembly. These are not like the good old days where they were more rugged and simple.
  • danitheplumber
    danitheplumber Member Posts: 85
    And the sensor is like a fuse and pops out and new one pop in or you have to undo the wires and unscrew the sensor and take out the entire piece?
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Not quite sure what you are talking about a combustion sensor…I think you are referring to the T R D…thermal relief device, if it looks like a small glass vile thats exactly what it is…If so, it tripped because its telling you something,like blocked vent or not enough make up air…They don’t just fail….When you replace it you will need a new gasket…Total job time 15 min….
  • danitheplumber
    danitheplumber Member Posts: 85
    I assume its the Guardian System and Sensor©… a red light blinks 8 time on gas control indicating combustion shutoff device tripped.
  • j a_2
    Ok are you now talking about the f v flammable vapor sensor…you can get one at distributer for short money…they shut down unit for many reasons..Look around the area for anything flammable or even a open sump pump well….Resistance value is off the top of my head between 19 and 50 …lower is better
  • j a_2
    Well, how did it go