Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Get more heat output from Steam Convection Radiators?

Options
My home's new boiler is operating at 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds pressure. It is cycling on the Pressuretrol when all radiators have steam. (240 EDR?. WM-40 boiler) I'd like to get more heat output from radiators. I plan to blow out / vacuum dust from the fins. Would bigger radiator vent valves help (currently Gorton #6) with ongoing heat output? Any other ideas to get better convection or heat transfer going with this type of radiator. Picture attached. Thanks.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    If your EDR is 240 then the WM EG-40 is oversized by about 30%. That will certainly cause short-cycling on pressure. Other causes may be improper piping or poor main venting.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Cleaning the convectors will help. However, short of putting fans on them, there isn't much else you can do. Bigger vents on the radiators -- assuming there is adequate main venting -- won't make much difference if any.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I agree with Jamie. If all else is operating correctly the biggest bang for the buck will be to tighten up the envelope. Just like people, the older a home gets the more it starts leaking :'(
    gerry gill
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Convectors have a whole lot less mass than radiators. They heat up quick but also cool quick. If you have a Honeywell thermostat try setting it to 2CPH instead of the usual 1 CPH for steam. Try increasing the main venting as much as possible. The boiler is oversized so some cycling on pressure might be unavoidable.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Your not really telling us what the true problem is..are you cold? Is your concern that the boiler cycles? You want more heat transfer, but your not stating why..or am I missing it?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    With these low mass convectors, you definitely want steam to arrive at each radiator at the same time. This will require plenty of main venting, and ironically slower radiator vents. If some convectors are on a tall riser, then you can increase the venting a bit there.
    Making sure the convector fins are clean will allow more heat from the metal to warm the air, as has been stated, but will not increase the thermal mass, so the advice to set the thermostat to 2 CP is good.
    Certainly, I would not advise any sort of setback, (shorter than 24 hours), in view of the poor performance of these convectors. Just select a lower temperature, and leave it there constantly.--NBC
  • AJ_Marks
    AJ_Marks Member Posts: 15
    Options

Your not really telling us what the true problem is..are you cold? Is your concern that the boiler cycles? You want more heat transfer, but your not stating why..or am I missing it?

My Concern was about trying to reduce boiler cycling from pressure and get longer runs before the pressure builds up. My line of thinking was to slow the build-up of pressure by getting more heat output out of the radiators.
  • gerry gill
    Options
    no, i'm gonna let you in on a secret..if your boiler is sized to the radiation load in EDR with convectors that have tubes with fins that get their heat via conduction with the tubes, your boiler would be to big..sized correctly, but to big in reality..there...i just stirred the pot! That ought to spark some comments.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• AJ_Marks
    Options
    Interesting. Use a lower pick-up factor with convection radiators since they have so much lower mass than cast iron radiators?
  • AJ_Marks
    edited October 2014
    Options
    But now I have my WM-40 boiler and would be interested in reducing short-cycles from Pressure. (thinking it would be better for boiler longevity and efficiency to reduce the short-cycling)
  • gerry gill
    Options
    maxitrol two stage gas valve can be added for low fire capability.

JStar
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Low fire, seconded. May even reduce your fuel bills as well.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    BrooM said:

Being in your shoes I would consider something else, for example trench heaters. They are also convectors but of higher standards. I have Verano, they use natural convection, still this way of heating is worth checking.

Would you please stop spamming this site!!! I just looked you up and all your posts are about Verano convectors. Pay the money to advertise or don't post!