Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler room overheating

Options
oldfart
oldfart Member Posts: 4
I have a customer that has two oil fired Boilers and a 80 gallon indirect domestic tank with approximately 40 feet of secondary piping with 17 radiant heating zones. We inherited this customer ......... Due to the domestic side these boilers are on year round . Boiler room is in a well insulated room ,below ground basement .
Are there any excellent ideas out there on how to control the temperature of this room . It is overheating the kitchen above due to the radiational effect . The ceiling is insulated and rocked .
Ive thought about bringing in fresh air supply and returns to the outside and dump the heat for the winter and installing a instanataneous water heater for the summer and letting the boilers go cold .. And altho My customer could easily afford this , I don't like losing energy dollars .
Or I could dump the heat thru the wall of the boiler room with a balancing supply and return air grille , with fire dampers and ductwork and either dump this heat into the variable speed air handler system and run the fan all of the time or as room temperature dictates .
Ive also thought about using an HRV unit and letting the air pull from the boiler room and dump instead of outside the outside the house back into the boiler room . and the same with the opposite inlet /outlet but dump it into the ductwork . This way I could have the fan operate on constant fan , ECM motor , and not have any boiler room air mitigate into the house .
I might add the pipes are all well insulated . So should I lose my customers energy dollars or has anyone come up with a better way to skin the polecat .

JohnBaily

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I think you've come up with some great ideas on your own. Well thought-out and creative!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    I have a customer who has an overheated boiler rm where we installed a mini-split.You can get a HeatPump that heats up a DHW storage tank
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Another fine idea!
    Retired and loving it.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    Is your fresh air and combustion air sized correctly high and low inlets into boiler room
    RJ
  • oldfart
    oldfart Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks Dan , I thought I was on the right track . Coming from the head Guru , you've made my head spin! BTW , the door into the boiler room is a full louver door . The room has plenty of ventilation to dispose of heat . Just the way we insulate these homes anymore its just to much heat .