Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Want to help us grow?

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
If you like what we're doing, please consider making a small donation to the place. Thanks. <3

Dan

Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
    Options
    Sorry to say this after all these years, but I neither like this new format nor understand how yo use it. Loved the "old" one for more than a decade; this one, well itse like trying to learn a new language.
    RobG
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I find it very easy to use. Change is tough for some, but it's always happening. You managed to post the comment above so you must be doing something right :D If you have questions just ask. Dan has been very patient with all of my questions.

Rob
  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
    Options
    This particular spot on this site is the only place I seem able to post anything. I still cannot find a means to post a new thread/question. The old Wall was so easy to use and navigate, not so much this new one. But thanks anyway.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    @Jimbo...this may help, if you didn't already discover it.
    hh.png 213.8K
    steve
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I will admit I was comfortable with the older wall, but this new design has much more features/functions. Two things I would like, that I've seen in other forums:
    a) when you hover over the thread title, you see a line or 2 of the persons comment
    b) where the thread is listed, besides the other attributes, it is also helpful to see the date of the original thread.

It's been rolled out, and if 'wall' history has proven anything, is that Dan is more then happy to listen to suggestions, and tweak as necessary.
    steve
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    The way I use it is to sign on when I first log on (the new site doesn't kick you off every hour or so). Even if you just want to browse the posts, log on. All of the posts in all of the forums will be shown. If you want to just search an individual forum just click on the button on the right side of the page. Once logged on you will be able to comment on any post at the very bottom of the page. The key in my opinion is to always log on. The site remembers YOU. When ever you click on a post it will bring you back to the last post that you viewed when you were last logged on. On the old site I would only log on when I wanted to post a comment. Now I log on when I get here and it's great.

Rob
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I really like it.
    The date of the original would be nice.
    I have always thought it would be nice to have a feature that gives you a notice when certain users post. Or to easily search posts from someone specific.
    Sent in my donation and picked up a couple books I was thinking about.
    Thanks,
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • NJ, Designer
    NJ, Designer Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi Dan,

It's a honor to have anything to do with you,

I do like the new wall very much, Thank You,

I would like to suggest that you add a new category for Geothermal,

and here is my motto for the WALL, "Contractors who take pride of their work".
    Because that's the difference....
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Like the new format a lot. I did notice that the site is auto saving my comments every so often as I type. FANTASTIC!!!!

Not sure if this is the place to post this question....but is there a mobile app coming soon? Would be awesome to be able to more easliy post from my smartphone and to post pics especially. Just wondering.

Can't say how much you have done for the world of heating Dan. I carry three of your books with me at all times and they have been a wonderful resource.

Funny story that I thought you and others here might appreciate:

Went to a house to diagnose a problem that three other heating contractors could not figure out. New mod con boiler installed two years ago, problem since first day. the boiler will only run for a short time, then kicks off, kicks a LWCO error, then restarts, then again and again and again. Boiler will eventually heat but not if it is bonechilling out. I went out to the house and saw the boiler pump pumping out of the boiler, but into the connection of the expansion tank. started the boiler watched the pressure gauge on the boiler drop to less that 1 psi from 12 and after fifteen seconds boiler kicks LWCO again. Told my customer that I had to relocate the pump to the other side of the exp tank and his problem would be solved. In the meantime, I raised that static pressure to 18 to stop the LWCO from tripping. Came back a week later to do the work and he asks me to explain to him why this was the solution to the problem. I smiled and said that maybe this book could expain it better. Handed him my copy of Pumping Away, and started working while he was reading. Just as I finished up and was about ready to start the boiler up he walks in and starts excitedly telling me that he has never read anything about somthing so mundane as pumping (his words not mine) that was so interesting, funny, and comprehensive. Understood perfectly why I was doing what I was doing, and was so happy that he had found someone who knew what to do to solve the problem. He was so happy in fact that he bought his own copy of Pumping Away just so he could finish reading it!

Thank you for all you do in our industry Dan. It is people like you that help us all keep hydronics alive and well.

STEVEusaPA
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    delta T said:

Like the new format a lot. I did notice that the site is auto saving my comments every so often as I type. FANTASTIC!!!!

Not sure if this is the place to post this question....but is there a mobile app coming soon? Would be awesome to be able to more easliy post from my smartphone and to post pics especially. Just wondering.

Can't say how much you have done for the world of heating Dan. I carry three of your books with me at all times and they have been a wonderful resource.

Went to a house to diagnose a problem that three other heating contractors could not figure out. New mod con boiler installed two years ago, problem since first day. the boiler will only run for a short time, then kicks off, kicks a LWCO error, then restarts, then again and again and again. Boiler will eventually heat but not if it is bonechilling out. I went out to the house and saw the boiler pump pumping out of the boiler, but into the connection of the expansion tank. started the boiler watched the pressure gauge on the boiler drop to less that 1 psi from 12 and after fifteen seconds boiler kicks LWCO again. Told my customer that I had to relocate the pump to the other side of the exp tank and his problem would be solved. In the meantime, I raised that static pressure to 18 to stop the LWCO from tripping. Came back a week later to do the work and he asks me to explain to him why this was the solution to the problem. I smiled and said that maybe this book could expain it better. Handed him my copy of Pumping Away, and started working while he was reading. Just as I finished up and was about ready to start the boiler up he walks in and starts excitedly telling me that he has never read anything about somthing so mundane as pumping (his words not mine) that was so interesting, funny, and comprehensive. Understood perfectly why I was doing what I was doing, and was so happy that he had found someone who knew what to do to solve the problem. He was so happy in fact that he bought his own copy of Pumping Away just so he could finish reading it!

Thank you for all you do in our industry Dan. It is people like you that help us all keep hydronics alive and well.

As a homeowner I wish there were more homeowners like the one you encountered. Ones that actually want to know at least a little about what is going on in their house. If there were more homeowners like that there would be fewer "bad" contractors because the homeowner wouldn't let them get away with crappy work. Too many people just want it fixed and then complain when something is wrong. Well if you wait until it's wrong to suddenly have an interest and want it fixed isn't that too late? My hats off to you sir for educating your client, they will (I hope) be your customer for life and probably recommend you to others. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool. I love this site and Dan is doing a fantastic job! Thank you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    delta T said:

I love this story. Thanks for sharing it with us, and thanks to all of you who have sent some bucks our way. We'll keep investing what you send in this place and make it even better for you. Thanks.

Dan
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options

Hi Dan,

It's a honor to have anything to do with you,

I do like the new wall very much, Thank You,

I would like to suggest that you add a new category for Geothermal,

and here is my motto for the WALL, "Contractors who take pride of their work".
    Because that's the difference....

I added the Geothermal section. Thanks for the suggestion. Let's see how it goes. And thanks for the support!

Dan
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Zman said:

I really like it.
    The date of the original would be nice.
    I have always thought it would be nice to have a feature that gives you a notice when certain users post. Or to easily search posts from someone specific.
    Sent in my donation and picked up a couple books I was thinking about.
    Thanks,
    Carl

Carl, I asked Vanilla about searching for specific people. Here's what Julie has to say:

"We don't offer bookmarking users the way we do with posts, you do have Advanced Search on your site, so people can simply go here: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/search

"Then click on the down arrow on the search bar to expand it. Then you can search by author.

Alternatively, you can go to a user's profile page and look at their recent posts."

Hope that helps.

Dan
    Retired and loving it.