Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell R7284 -- Hard Lockout -- No Ignition

Options
silent_strings
silent_strings Member Posts: 2
I'm at my mother-in-laws and their oil burner won't start -- It's a Beckett burner, the model number ends with a 'G' but the rest is rubbed off.  I'm a fairly competent handy-man type, but I'm also British and we don't really do oil burners, so I'm kinda clueless right now.  The Honeywell unit is showing Hard Lockout (previously with 'CALL SERVICE' but I reset it), and the errors for the last 6 cycles show 'NO IGNITION' (the next error is thousands of cycles ago).

Now, the Honeywell troubleshooting info gives me a series of steps:

1) Check that the manual shut off valve is open.

- No idea where that is

2) Check that the burner motor is spinning and the pump is generating adequate pressure.

- There's a motor-sounding noise during ignition, and the pressure meter on the boiler doesn't get above '5' (it may have shifted a little or I may have wobbled and been optimistic that it was moving, I'm assuming that's solely for the water pressure but I don't see another pressure-based readout anywhere)

3) Check the condition of the nozzle and replace if necessary.

- No idea where this is or whether I'd be sure what a worn one looks like

4) If a valve is present, check for proper operation. - No idea where this is, either

5) Check burner adjustments (refer to burner manufacturers instructions)

- You get the picture.  Also, this is the one thing that even if I found it, I wouldn't go fiddling if you paid me.

So, 3 questions: 1, if it is the lack of pressure, what does that indicate? 2, if it's not that, where is the manual shut-off? 3) if neither of those things pays off, how do I get to the nozzle and/or valve, and would I be advised carefully checking and possibly cleaning them?  I'm not about to replace anything, but anything I can do to avoid having to pay for the tech to come out, I'll do.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Darkange

Comments

• silent_strings
    silent_strings Member Posts: 2
    Options
    UPDATE

Checked the wiring, there's nothing connected to the Valve contact and nothing loose so I guess that answers that question.
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    How much oil

is in the oil tank?

If there is oil in the oil tank, you need a technician to come out.  If there is no oil in the tank, you need oil and possibly a prime and start depending on how the tank is piped to the oil burner.
  • Akwood94
    Akwood94 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Having same issue did you ever figure it out? 
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    @Akwood94, please start a new discussion. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Harte
    Harte Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Unit reads "Hard Lockout". Furnace blowing but no heat. Plenty of oil. Pressed red button...no change. What should I do?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Harte said:
    Unit reads "Hard Lockout". Furnace blowing but no heat. Plenty of oil. Pressed red button...no change. What should I do?
    Call your service provider of course, silly. And do not reset it anymore. 
    STEVEusaPA