Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need help and ideas with tiny home floor

RayB
RayB Member Posts: 1
My project is building an 8' x 20' tiny home office on a trailer. Have a 8' x 20' steel flat-bed trailer with light sheet metal flashing underneath. After I get all the holes figured out and cut, I will get trailer fully coated. Building with wood on top of the trailer.

Most likely building 2x4 walls with spray foam insulation. I'm really leaning toward a multi-wall polycarb roof for max natural light. Winter temps can hit 0-20F lows, but usually lows around 30-40F. Summers usually 60-70F, but can get hot, though I'm positioned in a nice half-shaded spot.

So who has economical, efficient ways to design, build and insulate floors. Thinking about radiant heat with thermafloor. Want to focus on heating fluid with 1kw solar pv, but have backups wood stove, propane stove, diesel generator. Also planning to add solar H2O panel to preheat water.

Any helpful thoughts or ideas would be welcomed. Thanks!

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Sounds a lot

Looks like your going to a lot of equipment l would just invest in a 50 gallon water heater with side loops for radiant .

Before I go with therma floor I would just use quick track.

Or go with a navian combo unit.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Trailers:

Sounds like a lot of money to spend on a throw away trailer.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Fuel source?

What do you have available and what does it cost?  How much DHW is needed?
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Ray's not the only one doing this

Not sure how popular this is to do, but apparently Ray has company in this sort of thing.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/267207101.html

Larry
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    RV system

I think Dennis Bellanti add radiant floors to his RV. About the same concept. As much insulation below as you can stand. Tight spacing on the tube, RV water heater to power with LP or a small electric wh

If electric is an option, may as we'll use electric cable or mats and skip the hydronics
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream