To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Steam Odyssey 2014

MarkSMarkS Posts: 464Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Strictly Steam
Over the weekend I installed and commissioned the next generation EcoSteam control (dubbed "ES-50") on my Midco LNB burner. The Phidgets-based system that was installed in April 2013 managed the burner control very well last winter, but there were some issues with vendor-supplied software that required the system to be re-started about once a week. I wasn't able to achieve the reliability I'd hoped for, and late last year started looking into a different hardware platform.

For this version, I've migrated the control logic to a TECO SG2-20VR industrial programmable logic relay, which should prove more robust than the Phidgets. Made a few modifications to the control cabinet, installed a new BAPI T10K outdoor temperature transmitter and a Dwyer Magnesense 0-5 inWC differential pressure sensor. Last year I was able to heat the house with the burner modulating to 0.5 ounce of pressure. That's 0.85 inWC on the new sensor. If the pressure setpoint gets any lower I'll have to start measuring it in pascals or millibar. :)

Fortunately, the original control cabinet came with an extra subpanel, so I was able to mount, wire, and test all of the new hardware on the bench without disturbing the existing controls. Even so, there were 50-some wire ends to terminate once the old subpanel was removed and the new one was in place. ChrisJ stopped by for the big day and lent a hand with the wiring. Thanks Chris!

Many of the features of last year's control made it into this one, though a few compromises were necessary. Most important, the outdoor reset strategy hasn't changed. It still uses the heat loss of the building and the heating capacity of the boiler to calculate burner on-time.

One added feature on the new control is the ability to manually fire the burner and adjust the firing rate from the front of the control panel, which is useful for testing and maintenance activities.

The original user interface was running on Windows XP, and since XP support ended in April I replaced the old Dell PC running XP with a low power, fanless PC from Shuttle running Windows 7. In addition to the EcoSteam software, the Shuttle also controls the Insteon lighting in the house.

Here are some pictures of the hardware:imageimageimageimageimageimage
JPG
JPG
21a - ES Old Control Panel.JPG
0B
JPG
JPG
22a - ES50 Control Panel.JPG
0B
JPG
JPG
23a - ES50 Control Panel Door.JPG
0B
JPG
JPG
24a - ES50 Magnesense.JPG
0B
JPG
JPG
25a - ES50 Outdoor Sensor.JPG
0B
JPG
JPG
26a - ES50 Shuttle PC.JPG
0B
Post edited by MarkS on
Links: EcoSteam | A Steam Odyssey | Odyssey 2 | Odyssey 2014 | A Steam Enthusiast's Outdoor Reset Control
Royersford PA | 1890 one-pipe steam system | 3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler
Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
607 sf EDR connected load | Operating pressure: 0.5 oz | 4 mains, 135 ft | All Gorton vents
· ·

Comments

• MarkSMarkS Posts: 464Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    User Interface

The TECO logic controller has a local display, and many configuration and operating functions can be done from there. But I also wanted a PC-based user interface that didn't require me to be in the basement, and data logging capability which the TECO doesn't have. Fortunately, the TECO SG2-20VR model I used supports Modbus, a common industrial protocol used to communicate between logic controllers and PC-based programs/user interfaces.

I kept the general look-and-feel of the user interface from the previous version, and added a few wish-list items. These include real-time/historical trending of most of the analog sensor data, a dedicated trend chart for tuning the pressure controller, and a display of daily btu consumption for each cycle (preheat, heating, hot water). There are also a few "power user" features including a map of all of the data sent from and written to the TECO controller, and the ability to write directly to any coil or register in the TECO.

The software also records system events (burner on/off, boiler cycle changes, state change of switches, etc), daily cycle history (number of times in cycle, cycle time, btu consumption per cycle), and generates a daily log file of analog sensor data. All of these historical files can be viewed in any spreadsheet program.

Screen captures of the user interface:
    JPG
    JPG
    31 - ES50 Main.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    32 - ES50 Phidgets.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    33 - ES50 Settings ODR.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    34 - ES50 Settings Control.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    35 - ES50 IO.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    36 - ES50 DHW.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    37 - ES50 Burner Tuning.JPG
    0B
    JPG
    JPG
    38a - ES50 Chart.JPG
    0B
    Post edited by MarkS on
    Links: EcoSteam | A Steam Odyssey | Odyssey 2 | Odyssey 2014 | A Steam Enthusiast's Outdoor Reset Control
    Royersford PA | 1890 one-pipe steam system | 3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    607 sf EDR connected load | Operating pressure: 0.5 oz | 4 mains, 135 ft | All Gorton vents
    · ·
  • ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 2,849Member ✭✭✭
    Looking good!

Always glad to help when I can.

How has the DHW been performing?
    Weil-McLain EG-40 connected to 392sqft of radiation via two 2" risers into a 3" drop header and 2" equalizer. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment Typical operating pressure 0.5 - 1.0 inch wc.

Steam system pictures updated 1/25/15.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/thetube0a3/Boiler?authkey=Gv1sRgCImUxIqv9436MQ#

Don't push the envelope, eliminate it.
    · ·
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 464Member ✭✭✭
    DHW

DHW scheduling works just as well as the previous system. Running it off the aquastat for the moment, there's a bug I need to track down that's keeping it from working off of the Phidgets tankless coil temperature sensor.
    · ·