Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Overcharge Question

On a Rudd system with a scroll compressor, my neighbor shot some 22 in and it helped with the cooling problem. It was last charged 9 yrs.ago so I'm not that concerned with it leaking, I'm concerned that the liquid line does not stay cold for more than 5 minutes. Could that be a symptom of an overcharge? Not sure if it did that before, it cools better now but does not seem to draw down as fast as it did before.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Overcharge

Maybe yes, maybe no.Put on a set of gauges,and knowing indoor/outdoor temps would help.
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Charging

First of all, the LL shouldn't be cold. Are ALL components clean? This is important to know before we talk about the refrigerant charge. Also identify your metering device.
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    the liquid line should get warmer,even hot

overcharged it would get really hot.

an easy way to tell is to check the amperage, if its badly overchjarged it'll be high.
    " Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2014
    Overcharge

Devils Advocate here, why wouldn't the LL get cooler due to the increased SubCooling by backing up the liquid Freon in the cond coil? Lets say the bottom 2-3 passes of the cond are full of liquid w/ a 10* SC, normal conditions, then an overcharge has the bottom 5-6 passes filled w/ liquid, with a higher SC. Ambient is 78*f .
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Overcharge

Remember that the PT chart is saturated; LL temperatures are going to be roughly ambient temperature. Hence, a "cold" line would point to a possible overcharge. However, the point remains: let's not fall into the charge trap until we're certain the system is clean and has a tolerable air flow.