To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

IPS header fitting leaks

JamieLeefJamieLeef Posts: 13Member
I have a vexing problem on a pressurized glycol system in the Boston area. All of the 1" NPT fittings of my SunMax VHP tube collector headers are leaking - a slow weeping drip. None of the other threaded connections leak in the system, just those at the headers. I have attached either copper female adapters, brass 1" threaded couplings, or brass female unions screwed onto these header nipples - all three types leak in the same way. And even with the couplings it is only the header side not the other side of the fitting. I originally used just Loctite 580 on them, then took it all apart and used blue teflon and high-temp dope. Same leak. Any thoughts? SunMaxx just says dope and blue teflon. And avoid over-tightening. I have lots of systems and lots of IPS connections with no other problems. Is this a known SunMaxx issue?

Jamie
· ·

Comments

• hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,742Member ✭✭✭
    loctite

Is it a gasketed connection, or just threaded?

dis-assemble, clean and dry the threads and use a loctite 272. This is a high temperature thread sealent. Not all Euro machined NPT threads seal well. They sometimes try to taper or modify a BSP, or machine a NPTF. Glycol is a tough fluid to seal, "gluing them together with loctite is a workable option. Give it 15 minutes or so to set before you re-fill and pressurize the system.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·