Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leaking from glass gauge

Options
nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
Hi, my glass gauge for my weil mccaan steam boiler is leaking from the bottom.  I turned it with a pylor and that seems to help for a while.  This must be my forth time tightening it this season.  This time i noticed a crunch sound, possibly dirt in there.  I wanted to replace the black rings at the bottom of the glass and wipe it clean.  Do I need to replace the glass, means buying glass and a cutter or just the black ring will do?  Thanks

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    Do it carefully

If you want to replace the gauge glass washers you will have to close the brass cocks above and below the tube and loosen the nuts that hold the tube in place. Work carefully so you don't break the glass but I would recommend having a new one on hand just in case. If you can't find the glass or washers locally you can order them from Mcmaster Carr   http://www.mcmaster.com/#gauge-glass/=ry4ze3  they have several sizes available that are pre cut.

Remove the tube carefully and make sure you clean any old rubber off the tube and the brass nuts.Put the new washers on the glass and install it, tighten the nuts carefully so you don't crack the glass.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nycpa
    nycpa Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice
  • SethK
    SethK Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Mine too

Mine did this too on a pretty new system (3 years old I think). I took in apart, cleaned the gaskets and everything else, and put it back together tight and it's been good since.

I think the fact my water was about 75% rust contributed to the gaskets leaking. And the pressure was 3 PSI+.