Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to gas conversion burner

Sam1975
Sam1975 Member Posts: 7
<span style="font-size:12pt">I have an Oil Peerless Boiler WBV-04-100-WPCL and planning to convert to gas. After getting advice and estimates from several people, I am thinking about going with a conversion burner. I have two options Carlin EZGas pro 50-175 btu or Wayne 50-250 btu (P250AF).  Do you have any advice on which one would be better for my boiler? Also issues that I should be aware of with the conversion gas burner ? Some people said that I am not going to see much saving, gas will take much longer to heat-up the house, gas conversion burner may make lot of noise. Any advice will be helpful. </span>

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2014
    Also

Need a chimney liner, I would get out door reset, and swap the pumps or pump to a delta t pump.

As far as converting to gas, you should have your plumber call the manufacture of that particular boiler to get the proper conversion kit.
  • JeffBrown
    JeffBrown Member Posts: 67
    issues i have had

I have the carlin EZ gas on my steam boiler.  It is kinda noisy...either a resonance type interaction with my boiler or the roar of the flame.  Others have had similar issues and it seems to be adjustable to a degree based on air band settings.  You can order a cover for the EZ gas (which I do not have).  However Im not sure it will make a huge difference if the source of the sound is inside the boiler itself

The bigger issues I am having is I can't find anyone in my area who knows ANYTHING about them.  I am Metro Boston, MA.  Your mileage may vary.

--jeff
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Gas

We convert a lot of those boilers with great success. We only use Carlin. The Wayne is VERY temperamental and not a great fit for those tall and skinny Peerless boilers.

Gas will heat the house exactly the same as oil. It will be as efficient or more. It will just cost you a lot less to do it.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I have the EZ-Gas on a Smith G8

It works fine but does have a rumble That might have something to do with the chimney length (a resonance perhaps) but I could be mistaken - my chimney is 25 to 28 ft tall from the breech to the top.. It seems this noise is mostly on small boilers like my G8-3.

The acoustic cover will do no good on any low frequency rumbling. I did downfire mine from it's initial firing rate and that did lessen the noise, it's not gone but is diminished.

I wonder if a baffle might help quiet things down on small boilers.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge