Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mass Regs for Oil Line Protection - Does innerduct count?

cwilliams2000
cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
I have a house built in 1999 the line is not very long, maybe 8 feet is routed around the perimeter of the corner of my basement. It has concrete packed over the line but the line is also within a plastic blue innerduct. The kind I have seen used for data cables, etc.

Does this meet the safety reg for mass? I have only seen the flexible copper line with the plastic jacket on it, and wondering if I decide to sell if this will be an issue. It all looks professionally done just not certain if it meets today's MA standards.

I tried to call last week but it went nowhere with the state.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    protected

as long as the copper is not in direct contact with cement or earth, you are good. Get a Form 1A for compliance
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Mass Oil Lines:

I always used to put my oil lines in 3/4" NMT blue flex PVC tubing because it would bend nicely and not kink. You didn't need to cover it with concrete/cement. There was some discussion back then about covering it and I don't know if it was a misinterpretation by AHJ's that said you couldn't cover it. It is definitely better with it covered. But if it is an issue, and the oil line is inside blue NMT flex tube, just take a hammer and whack the concrete. It will easily break up. No matter what, the oil line must be inside the NMT tube. The only reason to have it uncovered is that there is a Hackaroo out there that would save a buck by putting a 1" piece on either end and claiming that the whole oil line is inside conduit. When it isn't. An inspector could make that point.

When this first was instituted, the fire departments were supposed to get a copy of the permit. The oil companies are supposed to have a copy of your approval or they are not supposed to deliver oil. Your oil company should know. The Fire Department should be on top of it.

If you chose or are ordered to remove the concrete cover, go to an electrical supply house (NOT HD or Lowes, they won't have them) and purchase some 3/4" HW (Heavy Wall) one hole conduit clamps. They fit over the pipe perfectly and you can jam the tubing into the wall. Drill plastic inserts into the floor, put in the screw and clamp and you will be covered.

I personally think it should comply. There are a lot of varying opinions among untrained fire/oil safety inspectors at local fire departments. Trying to call the DPS to get an answer is like calling the Man in the Moon for an answer.

In my experience and opinion.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited April 2014
    early code

When this was first started here on Cape, it was to be liquid tight, so any line failure would show up at either end, and not end up underground. That was late 80's, but they also knew something about cement years earlier, as you would find copper lines run thru flexible metal conduit back in the 50's. It only non-metalic covering only where it is in direct contact with cement or earth. Overhead, and non-syphon lines are exempt.
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Ty

Thank you it sounds like I am probably all right then. I appreciate the quick replies!