Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Three flashes, then okay again.

My furnace stopped blowing warm air, so I checked it. The flame was out and the "code" was three flashes. I turned off the heat. The HVAC guy I called said that meant the pressure switch. The next day, he came out and said everything was fine - that it wasn't showing the code and it was working fine.

Does that happen? (A code is shown, then resolves itself)? I read that the pressure switch is a safety thing, so I'm worried now.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Error

Well, two things could be happening...the pressure switch could be bad, or the pressure switch could be doing its job. An error code will not tell you which one is correct. Usually, pressure switches are fairly reliable and only cause an error for a legitimate reason, such as a blocked chimney, or faulty inducer motor. It is indeed something that needs to be investigated further.

Did your tech perform a combustion analysis or inspect the chimney?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    And yes,

if the problem causing the error code is intermittent, and clears, then you may be able to reset and run without the code.  Until the problem reoccurs...

You really do want to find out why it occurred and get that fixed. 
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England