To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Residual Gas Detection

mmitpwmmitpw Posts: 2Member
Residential Gas Forced Air Furnace:

Detecting gas at first nozzle/orifice after heating cycle, is this normal operation?

If so, how long after should gas still be/not be detectable?
·

Comments

• mmitpwmmitpw Posts: 2Member
    valve leakage

ok so I found this explanation from honeywell:

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/Techlit/TechLitDocuments/70-0000s/70-2320.pdf

apparently gas leakage can occur for up to an hour.

So here's what happened:

I smell gas while changing filter.

Call technician to come check.

Finds small leak in pipe connection - problem fixed.

Wife still smells gas, calls utility co.

they find leakage at first burner orifice - get red tagged.

Call technician again - order new valve.

New valve installed - problem fixed.

Wife still smells gas.

I check with cheapy detector - leakage at first burner orifice

Call technician - ordering new replacement for bad new valve

I have a feeling we'll have the same outcome.

So is it safe?

How do I convince my wife that it is?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    ·
  • Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 3,238Member ✭✭✭
    Some detectors are

too sensitive as I am sure you read in the Honeywell paper you referenced. I have even seen them register on fresh pipe dope.

Try this mix some soap and water and take a small brush and put some soap at the orifice and see if it bubbles if not then you are safe.

The tech who keeps changing gas valves should do a pressure test with a manometer ("U" gauge) or a digital manometer. This is fool proof and if he or she is trained on gas systems it is a no brainer.
    ·