Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a code 12 flash on a board that doesn't have a 12 in the legend

I am thinking that this control board is bad because control boards can't  self diagnose themselves.the furnace is a York model #GY8S080A12UH11D.serial# WOH716411.order# 005004622169(if this means anything).it has an Emerson WR 1194V0 attached to it that flashes red 12 times while the blower runs. the legend doesn't have a 12 listed for a code.On a call for heat the inducer runs for a second and then the blower comes on and the inducer stops and the board flashes red 12 times.I disconnect 1 wire at the high limit and then the inducer starts again,the igniter glows but no ignition and flashes 12. There was another guy before me that had installed a new inducer when the old one found nearby still worked when I plugged it in. he had also replaced the blower too-this time I didn't find the old one nearby.When I got there the other night it flashed twinning or 24 volt phase incorrect and the high limit was jumped.this unit did not work at all.i managed to find that it was grounded to a screw that was holding down the transformer that had a shellac coating on it which prevented it from grounding. I screwed that wire to a hole in the side of the blower shroud I no longer got that code anymore.so the sequence started - call for heat,blower comes on for I guess for 90 seconds,shuts off, then inducer runs for so many seconds,glow bar glows and then the burners come on and runs. is this the right sequence? I thought that the inducer is supposed to run first then after the burners are running the blower will come on for whatever time is set on the jumper.I noticed this  happens on a goodman as well.blower for 90 seconds-blower off-inducer 90 seconds-ignition..well anyway I got it from a no start to running while the blower compartment door was off and it ran and ran after I had the previously jumped high limit wires reconnected back to where they belong. So I thought that the job was done until shortly after I put the compartment door back on.I reached it's high limit and then the burners shut down while still on a call for heat.I found the culprit to be a 8"x8"(approximate) square for a return in the side of the cabinet.so since it was 3:30 a.m. I was too tired and decided to leave the cabinet door on and just let it cycle that way-at least they had some heat until I come back and fix it for another day.On top of the other things I had to do to it.very poor install. the starting collar on the reducer was missing so the stack which was too large was just sitting on top of the outlet,the stack pipes where rusted out with holes and it was loosely connected at the chimney as well.
drain cleaning, plumbing,heating and electrical repairs.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Hmmm

Time to call tech support .. the un posted error could be a factory error code not listed
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    meticulousmike
  • meticulousmike
    meticulousmike Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2016
    Can control boards self diagnose themselves ? i've also come across this on a goodman furnace control board as well.where it flashed a 13 which also wasn't in the legend.i had taken the whole thing apart last heating season to inspect and clean.i got distracted many times by the tenants little son that kept getting into my toolbox and asking a thousand questions.i try to explain to him as best as i could what this and that does and what the tools names are as he pulls them from my box(which drives me crazy,lol!)there is no way of escaping him,no room to lock myself in to get away and concentrate- this furnace was installed in a tiny kitchen closet. to give you an idea about limited access.But anyway i managed to put it all back together and did the test run a few times-turned on and off with tstat and did it's cycle thing as best as it could considering whoever installed it did a cobb job and the sizing was wrong...i guess whatever new furnace they could find for a good price and just have some shmoe install it for the cheapest price is what this landlord will do..but i'm grateful though for those screw ups they keep me making some money. there were a few callbacks that i can't recall on different things last season,i think...but this year it was this one callback i couldn't figure out. how could it run last year without this problem if i put it all back together correctly?.the wiring i'm talking about.was i so distracted that i missed this one simple most important wire or was someone else called in when i couldn't make.I had asked the tenant but she said someone was there for other things.this drove me crazy for hours and misdiagnosed it as a bad board-i was running out of time and had to come up with a solution because the store was closing.i was so sure that it was the board.so i ran and just made it to the store,bought it and installed it.it still flashed a 13 but sounded a lot better than what it did when i first walked in.i've never heard an inducer sound like this before- it turned on and off in rapid succession continuously that it sounded terrible.i ruled out that it wasn't the board so i swapped it back out.i looked and looked to see what can cause this to happen?{i just read your latest article on steam about a condemned coil that wasn't removed from the system and was causing the boiler to flood}great article but i have so much more to learn about steam that i'm so overwhelmed and afraid that i try to stay away from them( i had one bad experience.that's all it took for me-no , it wasn't a dangerous bad experience).in the article you stated "what can cause this to happen?"..if you figure this out then you can figure anything out.makes sense,but you have to know how the system works and what the parts are and what they are supposed to and not supposed to do. this is key to understanding.now back to what i was first talking about- i couldn't figure it out as i searched but then i finally found the simplest thing that i couldn't see because of the angle and tight space of the closet to get directly in front of the unit.it was the ground wire that wasn't connected properly to ground.it was from what i saw just slightly wedged into the burner tray compartment corner.the eyelet of the connector wasn't making a full complete circuit.so my add to the code legend decal for a goodman furnace is 13 =sudden complete or partial ground loss during operation.when i flipped the boiler switch to off and then on again after a brief interval it would start up normal..this was driving me crazy.how did it run last season like this if somehow i forgot to properly ground it or did someone tamper with it before me this season? that is the question. i did get another callback this season a month or so later for a different problem now that i remember -open rollout(s).when i checked them for continuity right after it shut off and flashed the code - they weren't open and they have manual reset buttons too.it ran and ran fine for a couple of hours and didn't skip a beat everytime i turned the stat up higher so i thought i was done,packed up and got busy looking at other things in the adjacent boiler room and then it happened ..i could't figure that one out so i just left the burner compartment door off and told the tenant not to exceed over 72 degrees on the stat .never got a callback yet and it's been months now.the season is just almost about done-thank God....these Goodmans may not be so good after all,idk.lol!
  • meticulousmike
    meticulousmike Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2019
    i think i had this happen to me with another goodman ifc,but anyway when i bonded it tightly it corrected the code 12 i mean 13.12 was on the york that i could not get back to.the slumlord hired another hack, probably that just gets it running again with many callbacks throughout the season.it could have been a ground loss or a defective board. and the unit worked like it was supposed to even though it was installed wrong...lol..p.s.-.today looking back on this thing i wrote back then says that i have learned a whole lot more since 2014 on the job and oh boy i can say that it hurts.the years in the field schooling and working takes it's toll on the body but i have a better knowledge of it today cause of it yay!..i learn something new everyday.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713

Can control boards self diagnose themselves ? i've also come across this on a goodman furnace control board as well.where it flashed a 13 which also wasn't in the legend.i had taken the whole thing apart last heating season to inspect and clean.i got distracted many times by the tenants little son that kept getting into my toolbox and asking a thousand questions.i try to explain to him as best as i could what this and that does and what the tools names are as he pulls them from my box(which drives me crazy,lol!)there is no way of escaping him,no room to lock myself in to get away and concentrate- this furnace was installed in a tiny kitchen closet. to give you an idea about limited access.But anyway i managed to put it all back together and did the test run a few times-turned on and off with tstat and did it's cycle thing as best as it could considering whoever installed it did a cobb job and the sizing was wrong...i guess whatever new furnace they could find for a good price and just have some shmoe install it for the cheapest price is what this landlord will do..but i'm grateful though for those screw ups they keep me making some money. there were a few callbacks that i can't recall on different things last season,i think...but this year it was this one callback i couldn't figure out. how could it run last year without this problem if i put it all back together correctly?.the wiring i'm talking about.was i so distracted that i missed this one simple most important wire or was someone else called in when i couldn't make.I had asked the tenant but she said someone was there for other things.this drove me crazy for hours and misdiagnosed it as a bad board-i was running out of time and had to come up with a solution because the store was closing.i was so sure that it was the board.so i ran and just made it to the store,bought it and installed it.it still flashed a 13 but sounded a lot better than what it did when i first walked in.i've never heard an inducer sound like this before- it turned on and off in rapid succession continuously that it sounded terrible.i ruled out that it wasn't the board so i swapped it back out.i looked and looked to see what can cause this to happen?{i just read your latest article on steam about a condemned coil that wasn't removed from the system and was causing the boiler to flood}great article but i have so much more to learn about steam that i'm so overwhelmed and afraid that i try to stay away from them( i had one bad experience.that's all it took for me-no , it wasn't a dangerous bad experience).in the article you stated "what can cause this to happen?"..if you figure this out then you can figure anything out.makes sense,but you have to know how the system works and what the parts are and what they are supposed to and not supposed to do. this is key to understanding.now back to what i was first talking about- i couldn't figure it out as i searched but then i finally found the simplest thing that i couldn't see because of the angle and tight space of the closet to get directly in front of the unit.it was the ground wire that wasn't connected properly to ground.it was from what i saw just slightly wedged into the burner tray compartment corner.the eyelet of the connector wasn't making a full complete circuit.so my add to the code legend decal for a goodman furnace is 13 =sudden complete or partial ground loss during operation.when i flipped the boiler switch to off and then on again after a brief interval it would start up normal..this was driving me crazy.how did it run last season like this if somehow i forgot to properly ground it or did someone tamper with it before me this season? that is the question. i did get another callback this season a month or so later for a different problem now that i remember -open rollout(s).when i checked them for continuity right after it shut off and flashed the code - they weren't open and they have manual reset buttons too.it ran and ran fine for a couple of hours and didn't skip a beat everytime i turned the stat up higher so i thought i was done,packed up and got busy looking at other things in the adjacent boiler room and then it happened ..i could't figure that one out so i just left the burner compartment door off and told the tenant not to exceed over 72 degrees on the stat .never got a callback yet and it's been months now.the season is just almost about done-thank God....these Goodmans may not be so good after all,idk.lol!

...and I thought... I'm not interested in reading all this.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    No doubt jobs that are not installed right create multiple issues and makes for difficulty troubleshooting.

I hope your making money off this junk...especially for all this aggrivation.

a suggestion.....keep you posts a little shorter and more specific to your problem
    meticulousmike