Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Thermostat really improved my steam indoor comfort level

rrg
rrg Member Posts: 37
UPDATE: I have achieved better results. (See my newest post.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks,

This is a second post for steam only. My other post just like this was about graphing indoor temps.

I wanted to mention to the "Strictly Steam" how well my new thermostat really improved my indoor temps.

Utica PEG-112AS Steam 750mv system is connected to the tstat via the two wire connection at W & RC.

One pipe steam.

Pilot light with thermopile sensor.

I have collected data to show how well it works.

1st pic: Before on my 18yr old LUX 7 day programmable shows one day, 24hr house temps. Look at those temp swings. In the old days it was tradition to over shoot the temp setting and let it settle down below the set value a few degrees than call for heat.

2nd pic: After is one day with the new Honeywell TH8110U1003 set at 68 degrees with Adaptive Intelligent Recovery option.

NOTE: Nothing else was touched in the before and after graph except the tstat replacement. So this is what I experienced, YMMV.

3rd pic: Here's a pic of my setup with the HONEYWELL TH8110U1003, Netatmo weather indoor sensor and an old Radio shack thermometer that reads degrees to a decimal. like 68.5 which the tstat does not show but the graph does.

Comments

• rrg
    edited February 2014
    Setup functions

I'm still learning what everything means or does but I looked up mine set at:

"Setup Function 0240 = 1 Steam or gravity system".

I have the programmable option set to 68 degrees at all times as I experiment and learn how this work .

I haven't started using a night time setback yet.

I will experiment with 1 to 2 degrees later.

What temperature are you holding at in the day time, looks like 67deg ?
  • rrg
    edited February 2014
    Good info

I set it to two by your recommendation.

I'm curious to see if my chart can get any better.

Thanks.
  • rrg
    edited February 2014
    One day results with 1 cph and 2 cph

I made the cycle per hour change yesterday and the data looks better.

The change in temperature is literally less than a degree on average.

I will track it further to see how it pans out.

Great recommendation MarkS.

It really helps looking at the data to indicate there are better results.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited February 2014
    Temp Chart

Is your temp chart for the room with the thermostat? Have you ever tried charting different rooms? If possible make a chart for the room with the rad that is the farthest from the boiler. Chris J made a switch to 2CPH earlier in the year. I tried 2 CPH a few years ago and wash"t satisfied with the results. With my FocusPro 5000 I would just start getting steam to the rads and the thermostat would turn off the boiler. Also time how long it takes to get steam to the end of your mains and check how long it takes to get steam to the furthest rad and compare to the how long the boiler is on at 2 CPH.
  • rrg
    edited February 2014
    Good idea

I can move the sensor to other rooms and see what happens.

So, with your comments I ran upstairs on the next cycle and felt the furthest radiator and it did feel cool to the touch. The others did heat.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    System Timing

The rad in my upstairs bathroom is the furthest from the boiler. The runout for this rad is located near the end of a 24 ft main. The runout is about 8ft long and the riser up to the bathroom another 8ft. The fastest I've timed getting steam to this rad is 9 minutes. At 2 CPH my boiler would only run 12 to 13 minutes. Therefore I would only get a few minutes worth of steam to that rad.