Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

go wireless or not

heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
I am thinking adding two more zones. Now we are trying to figure out go wireless or not. The main reason for wireless is less work for the installation of the thermostats. The price difference is big. how about the quality of these wireless devices? good enough?

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Honeywell

I have used the Honeywell wireless thermostats with good results.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    edited February 2014
    Problem with wireless stats

is they take batteries. Several times this year I had to give a service charge to people who just forgot to check their batteries. I wish the change battery was a bright flashing light instead of just small print.

Anyway, by running a common to a wired stat you dont need batteries and its one less thing in your life that will catch you at the worst possible time.

Just a thought
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited February 2014
    Going Wireless:

Sometimes, when there is no other way to get there from here, you go wireless. Especially in old antique houses or multiple story houses.

There can be drawbacks. If the building has radiant copper coils in the ceilings or wire lathe plaster, the metal can interfere with the wireless signal.

I had good luck with Honeywell Red Hat wireless thermostats and controls. I had a RIB Wireless relay that wouldn't go through the same ceilings that the Honeywell's would.

You can even mount them on a finished board and carry them around from room to room on the same zone.

Been there, done that in a room with no inside walls.

As far as batteries, they should be changed every year. At the same time when you annually change the batteries in your smoke detectors.

If your smoke detectors are over 8 years old, they are out of date and need to be replaced with battery back-ups. You'll be taking a potential dirt nap if the power goes out and the chirp doesn't wake you up.