Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What brand of indirect hot water heater would one recommend ?

I have a 17 year old Thermo Dynamics boiler with a tank less coil.

I have hard water, coil is restricted. Any recommendations on a Indirect HWH that can handle the hard water better than others. Should I consider replacing the coil or go IHWH. I hear a lot of stories of indirects leaking after so many years, my tankless has never leaked.

Please advise

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    SMART Indirects

from Triangle Tube (also rebadged by several others) seem to tolerate hard water than most.  Caveat: they do not like high chloride levels.
  • jch
    jch Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2014
    Lochinvar?

Any thoughts on the longevity and transfer efficiency of the Lochinvar Squire SIT series?

I'm assuming that it would last a lot longer (stainless vs steel), but not transfer heat as quickly, as a TurboMax -- correct?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Physics

Heat transfer capacity is roughly proportional to heat exchanger area.  More square feet = more BTUs per hour.  Boiler output capacity will place a limit on this.

Stainless lasts far longer than glass-lined carbon steel for contact with oxygenated water.  Copper tolerates chlorides better than most stainless alloys.

Boiler water should have very low oxygen levels, so carbon steel is not an issue there.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    i posted same ? a long time ago

it depends on water quality etc.A respected guy on this forum suggested either budures or Burnham alliance.I choose the latter but you have to allow for a larger head loss in tank.I has to use a Grundfoss 26-99.No complaints so far..
  • Hydro
    Hydro Member Posts: 20
    IWH

I hope you chose a stainless steel one!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there"
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm with SWEI

The Triangle Tube Smart series is my preference. The larger ones are very heavy and difficult to move but worth it.
    Steve Minnich
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited February 2014
    I have been...

using the Weil Mclain Aqua plus series for over a year noW. 2" foam All stainless and it has an Anode rod! It has a coil design for the HX vs the tank in tank set up.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pd-aqua-water-heaters/
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Another Option

I like the idea of stainless , but it's a tough metal to weld , that where the issues comes in with leaking stainless tanks ... Turbomax is a nice design with large copper coils where the water runs through ... I do not see too many or heard of any issues with them. What I understand with the correct boiler , circulator and proper size tank , you can size for an endless supply of hot water for your needs .... Which could be good or bad if you have daughters that hog the bathroom :)
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Super Stor

That is my prefered brand of indirect.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating