To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Oversized boiler

TonySTonyS Posts: 840Member ✭✭
I went to look at a job that was put in a few years ago, its got everything, cast rads in the old section, baseboard fin and radiant in the new. Complete disaster!

The boiler was installed a few years ago also, Burnham cast iron 170k ,its about a 100k over sized. Question is ...How do you guys feel about removing burners to down fire this beast. PROS...CONS AND TECHNIQUES ?
·

Comments

• IronmanIronman Posts: 2,201Member ✭✭✭
    I Wouldn't Do It

Tony,

I wouldn't do it under any circumstance. If you do, you own it and all the ramifications that come with it. It's illegal to modify the gas train in a manner not approved by the manufacturer and AGA. I'm sure Tim can give better specifics.

I'd look at a buffer tank or a properly sized boiler.
    Bob Boan

You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    ·
  • Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 3,258Member ✭✭✭
    Not a good idea for a couple of reasons

1. The overall efficiency will be affected as you still have to heat all the sections

2. Safe ignition can also be a problem depending on what burners are blocked off.

3. It could affect the warranty on the boiler if that is still a factor depending on age

4. Manufacturers of equipment will not authorize such a move.

You can by changing all the orifices to smaller size or adjusting pressure typically reduce input about 10% which is not the best but better than blocking off burners.

In all cases I would do a before and after combustion analysis.
    ·