To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

One of a kind fireplace...

Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Posts: 4,932Member ✭✭✭
Unique, and functional. The previous fireplace was an H shaped burner submerged in granular pumice. It was about as much fun as staring at the burner in an oven…

This one is mesmerizing… and generates some excellent radiant heat.

And it is safe. There is a remote draft inducer which is interlocked via a safety vent pressure switch. No fan, no fire.

ME
jpg
jpg
Unique fireplace.jpg
0B
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
·

Comments

• SWEISWEI Posts: 5,056Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is this in the Sleeper House?

just curious -- and where can we buy one?
    ·
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,757Member ✭✭✭✭
    Similar to?

An infrared patio heater Mark?

Is that Pyrex glass flue and does emit heat overhead also.
    ·
  • Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Posts: 4,932Member ✭✭✭
    Yes....

Its the Sleeper house. And yes, it's an Italian patio heater set up for natural gas, but no, the upper glass doesn't emit much in the way of heat.

The upper glass is essentially creating a draft hood, and also avoiding sucking the warmest air out of the room by acting as a thermal dam.

I want to see it with all the internal lights off :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    ·
  • knotgrumpyknotgrumpy Posts: 207Member
    Sleeper

As in Woody Allen's Sleeper?
    ·
    edited January 2014
    Not real efficient

And not one of a kind, but my favorite out of four in my house.

Definitely radiates, and this is where I BBQ when it's -17.
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    0B
    ·
    Yes....

And I got to ride in the orgasmatron!

It's actually a unique elevator that goes between 4 different levels.

Here's the mechanical room that keeps the owners toasty warm when they're not sitting next to their fire tornado.

ME
    jpg
    jpg
    Sleeper mech room done.jpg
    0B
    ·
    Nice….

I wouldn't mind having one like that, if I had the place and the space.

ME
    ·
    I remember

That's the house you did that I've seen when I've been climbing out near Denver.

Pretty inspiring work you did there!
    ·
    Stonework

Did you do the stonework, Gordy?
    ·
  • M LaneM Lane Posts: 123Member
    edited January 2014
    Chrome diamond plate!

I'm lucky to get FRP up on my walls. Did do that work Mark? That is an awesome boiler room.

I assume then we are neighbors.
    ·
    Thanks...

That was the last physical job I did as a contractor. It was quite fun. The owner owns WL Contractors. I am sure you've seen his trucks running around town. He considers himself an "Industrial artist", hence the rainbow of colors for the conduit running across the ceiling.

Yes, we are neighbors.

Here's what you see in his "Utility Room" when you turn 180 degrees from the boiler wall. Beam me up Scotty. There are no Dilithium Crystals down here… Just lots of di-hydrogen monoxide….

ME
    jpg
    jpg
    Sleeper control room big.jpg
    0B
    ·
    Stone work

No not my work, but I did meet the mason that did the work.

You go out the door to the right and there is a twin to this one outside sharing the same chimney chase.
    ·
    Mark

Got a name/ manufacturer of that fireplace?
    ·
    I think it was Italian….

Lavazza or something like that. There are numerous manufacturers of this type of heater. If you Google radiant patio heaters, and look at the images, you will find one.

He basically took it out of its cage/tank base and re-assembled it in it's current form/location. All critical components (except for cage) are there.

ME
    ·
    edited January 2014
    In action

Dinner time

Okay I give up the pic was right orientation when uploaded??
    jpg
    jpg
    image.jpg
    0B
    ·
  • billbill Posts: 429Member
    I wondered about the Pic.

Could the cocktail next door to those steaks be implicated??:)
    ·