Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

is copper nipple ok to connect lwco to steam boiler

Options
boiled
boiled Member Posts: 7
I have two-pipe steam heat with a Weil-McLain model E-7 series 2 boiler and had to recently replace the McDonnell Miller Series 67 LWCO. The new (identical) LWCO was connected to the boiler upper & lower tapping with what appears to be copper nipples. is that ok? From reading the posts here, I thought only black pipe was acceptable, at minimum, copper only acceptable for wet returns.

Some additional details in case makes a difference: I believe this copper piping came as part of the "quick hook-up fittings" with the Series 67.  This LWCO is also connected by its upper tee to a pressure guage, pressuretrol, and a vacuum breaker (Hoffman 60). 

Comments

• M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Copper nipple?

Its probably brass, and should be ok.
  • boiled
    Options
    looks like copper to me?

I have attached two photos. "before" is the piping on the original LWCO and this looks like brass to me. "after" is the piping on the new LWCO and the pipe connected to the boiler looks like copper to me. is this worth asking the heating contractor to fix?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Red brass...

You're fine.

In my 36 years, I've never seen a "copper" threaded nipple. You can make them using male adapters and copper pipe, but I've never seen a one piece solid copper nipple. Too expensive.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • boiled
    Options
    threading

Thank you for reassurance, that makes sense about (red) brass and the threading.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Real Copper Nips:

I've seen some very old true, solid copper nipples on old water piping. Like on old showers. Never larger than 3/4".

I had a couple of 1/2" nipples with brass caps that I used over and over for test purposes where a nipple was going to be run through the wall. I changed them to black after the test and inspection so that some nefarious sheet rocking installer didn't borrow them, never to be returned to me.