To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit

Bleeder valves stolen!! Grr...

we just purchased a new home. 2 days before we closed the copper was stolen. It wasn't as bad as it could be and my husband is a contractor so we decided to purchase the home anyway. The house was built in 1920 and is radiator heating. We are very excited to have this kind of heating! However, we discovered yesterday that not only did they get away with the copper but the "bleeder valves" on the radiators were stolen.

My husband calls them bleeder valves. I don't know anything about radiant heating. I guess these were made of brass and they got away with about 10 of them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to replace those parts? I google "bleeder valves" and I don't really come up with much.

Does this make any sense to anyone? I've never dealt with radiators before so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!!


  • JStarJStar Member Posts: 2,668

    Welcome to the world of steam!

    They are called Air Vents. Go to any major plumbing supply and ask for Gorton radiator vents. If they try to sell you VariValves, kindly decline and walk out.

    You'll want to install small vents on the small radiators and large vents on the large radiators. Do not follow the diagram that Gorton hands out. They make great vents, but have no idea how to install them!
    - Joe Starosielec
  • kcoppkcopp Member Posts: 2,517
    edited December 2013
    it this...

    what you mean? If its a hot water system...
  • At this point

    we need to know if you have a hot water or a steam system.Some pictures of the boiler and near-boiler piping would help.
    Often wrong, never in doubt.
  • ceciliastar1ceciliastar1 Member Posts: 2

    Thanks for the responses so far. The next time I'm in the house I will definitely take pictures! I honestly have no idea if it's steam or hot water, etc.
  • JStarJStar Member Posts: 2,668

    My bad. Thought I was in the steam forum!

    Easy way to check what kind of system you have.... Look at the boiler. Does it have a clear glass tube? Does it have a circulator?
    - Joe Starosielec
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!