Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing furnace from gas vent

Chuck_17
Chuck_17 Member Posts: 143
I am removing a furnace from a gas vent.

What will be left is a residential water heater (typical 40MBH with 3" (I think) vent connecter) and 8" BVent up inside a house probably about 25 feet.

I am not clear about the rules. Is the 8" now too big for just the water heater?

But not too big if the vent connecter is 4"?

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    orphanned water heater venting

According to the 7x rule, you can leave an appliance with a 3" vent collar vented into a 7" but not 8" vent. However, if it is a 4" collar, you can vent that into a 10.5" vent. Doesn't make it a great idea and certainly doesn't guarantee performance but under the gas code, it is acceptable if all else is.

Now, venting a 40mbh WH into a cold exterior 8" vent even with 4" vent connector is a recipe for condensation and/ or backdrafting.

Consider replacing it with a power vented WH out the side and be done with it.
  • Chuck_17
    Chuck_17 Member Posts: 143
    Water heater vent connection

The b-vent is inside the house.

I am not sure if the vent connecter is 3" or 4". For typical 40 gal/40MBh water heater is it optional? (looking at typical cuts, both are listed)
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Try using a 4" "B" vent connector to the 8 " vertical vent

and look for any condensation at the draft hood if there is no condensing and the water heater is drafting (homeowner test with some smoke at the draft hood skirt and see if it is sucking the smoke in or blowing it out, sucking in is good) If you are a pro do you have a draft gauge or combustion analyzer?

How long is the vent connector?
This discussion has been closed.