Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Altherma

Wondering what the thinking lately is on the Daikin Altherma [or equal other brand] in terms of service cost and suitability in residences. They have been out for 3 -4 years at this point I think.

I don't hear much about them in the Pac. northwest, maybe they are generally too costly or just got eclipsed by ductless equipment.

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    I have been waiting

for the other manufacturers to release them. They all have them in the european market but not here. Fujitsu said they were going to release it here last year but it never happened.

I think part of the problem is most american systems are high temp and these units stop at 130.

Also they are really nothing more than a ductless unit with a plate exchanger and they are way out of bounds pricewise.
  • Bart Vaio
    Bart Vaio Member Posts: 56
    Altherma

The Daikin is a really nice unit and a good fit for a lot of systems. All of our floor systems are designed around 120 deg fluid temps at design day conditions so they fit right in with that. Our design day temps are not much of a challenge for these units in California. In the western states the cop is very close to geo thermal and the price is way less for air to water than geo due to the capital cost of well drilling. These units fit in well on propane supplied projects as natural gas is so darn cheap right now it's tough to compete unless your electric utility is providing really cheap power or you are offsetting with photovoltaics. Are there any other manufactures providing these? I thought Unico was doing an air to water reverse cycle chiller for hydronic? I know most of the European units max out around 3 tons which is a bit small for some of our projects.